How to configure Remote Display

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
salan

How to configure Remote Display

Post by salan »

Having problems using remote display.
Setup:
both laptop and server on same network (firewalls (for the purpose of testing) turned off).
nt4 server (tried with with other vm's) GA installed and running on server.
Remote display turned on in config on default port (no other vms running). client vm can access other computers on network.
Laptop using mint 20.3
tried using terminal window typing rdesktop -a 16 -N x.y.z.101:3389 (server(host) ip)

Tried using Remmina (same results).I get this:
Screenshot from 2021-10-10 17-56-01.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-10 17-56-01.png (19.28 KiB) Viewed 6879 times
Any ideas?
Alan
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to configure Remote Display

Post by mpack »

I don't understand the question.

The screenshot shows a login dialog, I see it when using normal RDP to a Linux device. If you see that then RDP is working.

What exactly is your problem?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Remote control of the VM has three channels available:
  1. Remote into the host OS
  2. Remote into the VM's OS over a network
  3. Remote into the VM's "monitor" through Virtualbox's VRDE as if the VM 'hardware' had a remote-capable KVM on it
1. Remoting into the host OS uses the host OS's built-in remote system, and is just like sitting at the host. Virtualbox is not involved. (Of course this method is of no use when you're already sitting at the host; it's useful when using other computers on the LAN. Remoting into a Windows host using Microsoft RDP may kill the VMs when you cut off the remote session.)

2. If the VM has a network that can give it access out on the LAN (Virtualbox NAT, NAT Network, or Bridged) then the VM's OS can be remoted into using the VM OS's built-in remote system. (Note that Virtualbox Host-Only will also allow remoting into the VM's OS in method 2, but you won't be able to access the VM using method 2 from outside the host if using Host-Only.) Virtualbox is not involved in the method 2 remote-in process, but if you are using NAT or NAT Network you will have to open ports in these network types' Port Forwarding settings in Virtualbox, and you may have to open the port number in the host's firewall.

3. Remoting into the VM's "Monitor" is all Virtualbox. Virtualbox provides either RDP protocol (through the separate Oracle Extension Pack download) or VNC protocol (through a built-in Virtualbox extension pack activated by command line). See section 7 in the Virtualbox manual. The Virtualbox remote server VRDE lets you control the mouse and keyboard of the VM and see the VM monitor output independent of any or no remote systems in the host or VM OS's. You access the VRDE by remoting in with the correct protocol client through the host's IP address and the port picked in the VM's Display settings. (This port has to be a unique port number not used by other host services. You may have to open this port number in the host's firewall.)

Which method do you want to use?
salan

Post by salan »

mpack wrote:I don't understand the question.

The screenshot shows a login dialog, I see it when using normal RDP to a Linux device. If you see that then RDP is working.

What exactly is your problem?
Well the device is Windows NT4 not linux.
Also it does not let me login anyway.
Alan
"Those who don not learn from Dilbert are doomed to repeat it"
salan

Post by salan »

scottgus1 wrote:Remote control of the VM has three channels available:
  1. Remote into the host OS
  2. Remote into the VM's OS over a network
  3. Remote into the VM's "monitor" through Virtualbox's VRDE as if the VM 'hardware' had a remote-capable KVM on it
I am trying to setup this:
Screenshot from 2021-10-12 19-59-38.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-12 19-59-38.png (37.86 KiB) Viewed 6786 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, that is method #3. Port 3389 is common among many OS's for RDP protocol remote connections. Use a different port number in the settings you screenshotted to avoid confusion of services. Authentication method Null is easiest to get started with.

From another PC on the LAN, use an RDP client and connect to host.LAN.ip.address:portnumber. The port number should be open in the host's firewall.

From the host PC itself, use an RDP client and connect to localhost:portnumber or 127.0.0.1:portnumber.
salan

Post by salan »

That worked thanks. Seems there is something still using the default port even though I thought I had stopped all things using it and ports near it. When I changed port to 3395, it started working. Many thanks
(It often the most obvious things you miss!)
Alan