New versions of OpenGL/D3D API support

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
rickywong

New versions of OpenGL/D3D API support

Post by rickywong »

Just to remind you guys it's been over a decade since VB provided 3d acceleration option update to support OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 9.

Is there any plan for OpenGL 4.x or DirectX 1x ? Or even better, some magical GPU virtualization feature ?

It's pretty important to me because we plan to run WebGL 2.0 web apps in VM.

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: New versions of OpenGL/D3D API support

Post by mpack »

Just FYI, these forums are run by and for VirtualBox users, mostly of the free version. We have no insider knowledge about the dev's plans.

Also, developer priorities are naturally set by their paying customers.
rickywong

Post by rickywong »

mpack wrote:Just FYI, these forums are run by and for VirtualBox users, mostly of the free version. We have no insider knowledge about the dev's plans.

Also, developer priorities are naturally set by their paying customers.
Fair enough
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

One user found an OpenGL3 software render that worked in their VM: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101304&p=491848#p491844

It is a software not hardware renderer, so performance may or may not be what you'd like. No support for this idea is available here since it's a third-party app.
rickywong

Post by rickywong »

scottgus1 wrote:One user found an OpenGL3 software render that worked in their VM: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101304&p=491848#p491844

It is a software not hardware renderer, so performance may or may not be what you'd like. No support for this idea is available here since it's a third-party app.
Thanks, but software renderer is too slow for my porpose.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Post by arQon »

My vague recollection is that the "real" VMSVGA driver supports GL3.3, but the VBox build only supports 2.1 in HW. While it may step up to 3.3 someday, I think the chances of support for anything beyond that are zero, unless some wealthy Oracle customer requires it.
Support for more recent DX versions seems even less likely to me.
Long-term, your "best" chance is more likely to be VK support with Zink providing the GL layer, but again, I don't see that ever happening without a significant pile of cash heading Oracle's way.

PCI passthrough is similarly not happening. If you want that, you need a different hypervisor (KVM, specifically), a Linux host, and a dedicated (AMD or Quadro) card per VM. (And also an infinite amount of patience and/or determination... :P)
rickywong

Post by rickywong »

arQon wrote:My vague recollection is that the "real" VMSVGA driver supports GL3.3, but the VBox build only supports 2.1 in HW. While it may step up to 3.3 someday, I think the chances of support for anything beyond that are zero, unless some wealthy Oracle customer requires it.
Support for more recent DX versions seems even less likely to me.
Long-term, your "best" chance is more likely to be VK support with Zink providing the GL layer, but again, I don't see that ever happening without a significant pile of cash heading Oracle's way.

PCI passthrough is similarly not happening. If you want that, you need a different hypervisor (KVM, specifically), a Linux host, and a dedicated (AMD or Quadro) card per VM. (And also an infinite amount of patience and/or determination... :P)
Yeah but WebGL 2.0 requires OpenGL 4.1 atleast, tested on VMWare v16.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Chances are you'll have to use the hypervisor where the test works...