How can I make VirtualBox VM's share the host's VPN connection?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Scott104

How can I make VirtualBox VM's share the host's VPN connection?

Post by Scott104 »

Hello,

I have a software suite that is set up to use a license server on my companies internal network. The software runs a VM on VirtualBox and checks out a license to run the software via the license server. The software mimics a CNC controller on a linux distro and it is very locked down. Users in the office can access the software just fine. The issue I am having is with a user working remotely using my companies VPN. The VM uses the network interface 1 to contact the license server. Since the user is working remotely it only sees his internal 192.168.X.X network and not my companies 10.10.X.X network when connected to the VPN. We use the Microsoft built in VPN using SSTP. I cannot figure out how to have the VM pass thru to the VPN to contact the internal license server for a license.

So my question is - Is there a way to have VirtualBox either use that PPP Network card of the VPN or somehow get a IP address from the VPN via DHCP? I basically need to have the VM share the hosts VPN connection. Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How can I make VirtualBox VM's share the host's VPN connection?

Post by mpack »

First, VPN connections are endpoint to endpoint - they can't be shared. That's kinda the whole point.

However, if you configure VirtualBox VMs to use NAT or NAT Network then they will use the host as a TCP/IP gateway, hence it shouldn't make any difference if the host is using VPN or not.

If you can't use NAT then each VM will require its own internally installed VPN client.