Networking: VMBox guest cannot access internet, very slow launching programs.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Dmitri007

Networking: VMBox guest cannot access internet, very slow launching programs.

Post by Dmitri007 »

My Oracle VMBox guest cannot access the internet and is very slow launching programs.
THIS WAS WORKING FINE BEFORE (like from 2018-2020); I don’t know what changed.
I am running a guest with Oracle Linux 8.0 on a Windows 10 host, VMBox v6.1. The guest uses a static IP address 192.168.1.24 (my ISP’s gateway is 192.168.1.1).
The network setting in VMBox is Bridged Adaptor Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160mhz. I don’t recall changing it recently.
On the guest, I am running an Oracle database, so I have commands like lsnrctl start and sqlplus / as sysdba that I run frequently. These run dog-slow. Once they are running, my client app (running on the Window host) has no trouble executing SQL DML statements (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) in sub-second roundtrip time. It’s just getting the database and listener started that takes several minutes.
The guest can ping the host and other computers on the local network 192.168.1.xxx and vice versa. But it can’t reach the internet; can’t ping www . oracle . com for example. Again, THIS WAS WORKING BEFORE.

If I change the network setting to NAT, then the guest CAN see the internet, but other computers on the network can’t see it; it gets an IP address with 10.x.x.x; AND the aforementioned commands execute lightning-fast. So something about the network setting is not only blocking access to the internet but causing other programs to run extremely poorly.
It’s not acceptable that other computers can’t see my guest virtual computer on the local network since I am using it as a development (database) server.
The top command revealed no resource-hog processes.
I installed Oracle VMBox on a separate Linux Lite host with a clone of my Oracle Linux 8 guest, and am seeing the same results. So it’s not Windows.

Please advise.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Networking: VMBox guest cannot access internet, very slow launching programs.

Post by scottgus1 »

Dmitri007 wrote:THIS WAS WORKING FINE BEFORE (like from 2018-2020); I don’t know what changed.
... Bridged Adaptor Intel Wi-Fi
Did the host update such that the Wi-Fi drivers changed? Bridged can become incompatible with Wi-Fi if the drivers or the access point firmware is too strict in implementing the Wi-Fi protocol.

If you can switch to a wired Ethernet adapter and Bridge to that, what does the VM do? Or as a test try switching to Host-Only and adjust the VM's IP address appropriately (note that the VM won't get internet and only the host will be able to log into the VM while using Host-Only).

Also, let's see a log: Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Dmitri007

Re: Networking: VMBox guest cannot access internet, very slow launching programs.

Post by Dmitri007 »

UPDATE: I changed the network setting of the guest to DHCP (from static), it got a new IP (.13) and now the programs are popping but it still can't see the internet.
Dmitri007

Post by Dmitri007 »

Attaching log file.
Attachments
Dmitri-VMBox-2021-09-30-09-11-50.zip
Per request ScottGus
(15.23 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The log file shows that Hyper-V is enabled on the host. See See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active). This might be slowing down the VM.

After disabling Hyper-V, if the VM connection is still slow, please try wired Ethernet as above and see what happens.
Dmitri007

Post by Dmitri007 »

Better log file uploaded
Attachments
Dmitri-VMBox-2021-09-30-09-23-39.zip
(27.61 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V is still enabled. If you haven't tried disabling it yet, please check your topic first to see if someone posted something before you post something new.
Dmitri007

Post by Dmitri007 »

"HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)" is one hell of a complicated solution. I'll try it if I have to.
Dmitri007

Post by Dmitri007 »

Thanks Scott, the reason I posted the zip file again was that the first time I had not completed the cycle, had not shut the VM down, so I felt it wasn't "complete" per your instructions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No problem on the new log.

We can say nothing else until Hyper-V is out of the picture. FWIW since your original setup did get network access eventually this means the network was working, and maybe Bridged on Wi-Fi isn't the problem. On the other hand an all-of-a-sudden VM slowdown on a Windows 10 host is classic Hyper-V interference. Hyper-V might not be the problem, but it has to be removed for a god starting test.
Dmitri007

Post by Dmitri007 »

All of the Hyper-V options are UN-checked in the Windows Features control panel.
Dmitri007

Post by Dmitri007 »

Since the programs sped up after I switched from static IP to DCHP, the slowness isn't the critical issue, at least not for the moment. The issue is internet access from the guest.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, lets look at the network.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)

Also, provide this from the host command line:

ipconfig /all

and this from the VM's terminal:

ip address

or

ifconfig

Also, FWIW:
Dmitri007 wrote:All of the Hyper-V options are UN-checked in the Windows Features control panel.
Careful reading of the Hyper-V tutoriual reveals:
About the "Windows Features" box:
... Generally, trying to disable Hyper-V by unchecking boxes in "Windows Features" often does not disable Hyper-V.
:?:
Dmitri007

Post by Dmitri007 »

Uploading 3 files in zip

Saw the bit about the control panel not being the final word.
Attachments
VMBox_Forum-Dmitri2021.09.30a.zip
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the data!
You are Bridged to the Wi-Fi and have a VM IP address in the Wi-Fi adapter's IP range.

Please ping 8.8.8.8 in the VM and on the host, and report what you get.