VM started as "Detachable Start" (vboxheadless) stuck at "stopping"

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
operation420.net
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

VM started as "Detachable Start" (vboxheadless) stuck at "stopping"

Post by operation420.net »

I was running a VM and having a strange problem with the VirtualBox Manager GUI, it would hang on whatever was being displayed but the window would not dim out and say "Not Responding". When I would end the task and open it again it would appear to be responding again but when I tried to right click on the VM to stop it, the same thing would happen (I think even before I tried to right-click, as soon as I moved my mouse cursor over the window).

I managed to end the task for the unresponding VM window by finding the VM name under Processes in task manger.

However, the same cannot be said for the vboxheadless process. I have multiple vboxheadless processes and don't know which one(s) are responsible for this VM and don't wanna take a gamble on forcing the wrong VM to close.

I tried to run vboxmanage controlvm <VM> poweroff and got text output for 10% 20% but it got stuck after that. I closed the command window.

The main VirtualBox Manger window responds but the VM is stuck at "Stopping" and the "Settings", "Discard", and "Show" options are dimmed out.

When I try to start the VM using VBoxManage I get error:

Code: Select all

>vboxmanage startvm TDS
VBoxManage.exe: error: The machine 'TDS' is already locked by a session (or being locked or unlocked)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80bb0007), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "LaunchVMProcess(a->session, sessionType.raw(), ComSafeArrayAsInParam(aBstrEnv), progress.asOutParam())" at line 727 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
viewtopic.php?t=8208
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM started as "Detachable Start" (vboxheadless) stuck at "stopping"

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not sure how to fix the seize-up problem, but I believe that if you are using a Windows host, Process Explorer can show the command line of each 'vboxheadless' VM and you can see which one has the VM in question, then kill it off without having to find the VM's window.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VM started as "Detachable Start" (vboxheadless) stuck at "stopping"

Post by mpack »

You can see all processes in Task Manager, so no need to install Process Explorer.