USB issue

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Leroy Jenkins

USB issue

Post by Leroy Jenkins »

I'm trying to figure out why my Virtual Box will not load when I enable the USB controller and 3.0 option. When I got to start up the VM I get the following error:

Failed to contruct device 'usb-xhci' instance
(VERR_PDM_DEVHLP_VERSION_MISMATCH).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole
{872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I also get something similar when trying the USB 2.0 as well. The only way it works is if I put it on the USB 1.0.

For background, I'm trying to use a Pinnicale Dazzle usb device. It is used to link the computer to a VCR/Camcorder and transfer the video to the computer.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or missing something.

Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB issue

Post by scottgus1 »

Leroy Jenkins wrote:Pinnicale Dazzle
I used to have one of those. The quality wasn't good in my opinion. Ended up getting one of their PCI cards.

The error is probably because of a mismatched Extension Pack. The Extension Pack version must match the installed Virtualbox version. See http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Leroy Jenkins

Post by Leroy Jenkins »

Thanks. I had download the extension pack but didnt update the virtual box. That fixed the error.

Also, not too worried about quality. I found some old VHS tapes that I was wanting to transfer to digital. Quality isnt that great already. haha
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The backup procedure sounds (potentially) adequate. Perhaps you should tell us about the restore procedure.

As an example of something that would definitely not work, it would be creating a new VM and then changing the attached storage to the VDI from the backup.

Backup/restore are just special cases or copying and moving a VM. See Howto: Move a VM.