How to configure Dual Booting

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MPC

How to configure Dual Booting

Post by MPC »

Hi,

How to configure Dual Booting i.e. How to install Windows 10 + ubuntu or likewise and dual boot the VM. ?
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Re: How to configure Dual Booting

Post by birdie »

Your question/problem is really hard to understand.
MPC

Post by MPC »

I want to install dual OS in a VM and then after it will ask from which OS to boot. Hope it is clear
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Not sure that this is possible, or of what practical use it would be other than the challenge of doing something that is beyond the normal use case. First challenge, all VMs are set up using a single Template designed to assist in installing a named OS. There are various different Templates for different Windows and Linux versions etc.; and Windows and Linux Templates also have some other significant differences, for example, different virtual graphics cards.

Virtualisation is generally promoted as a an alternative to dual-boot because of the advantages of being able to run multiple OSs at the same time (providing the host computer has sufficient resource). Dual Boot is always an either or choice which slows down the boot process, so what would be the point of doing that in a VM.

You could, of course, simply try using the standard dual boot set up procedure, i.e. Windows first and then try to install Linux alongside without destroying the Windows setup.

Did a Google Search to see if there were any obvious results for any virtuaisation software. Result "0" matches.
MPC

Post by MPC »

I had googled but there no such videos that exactly matches my requirement.
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Exactly! The internet community obviously see little or no need/possibility, or there would be numerous 'Tutorials'.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If one wants to test dual-boot, a VM could be a good place to do it, especially if one cannot or does not want to change their one physical PC to do it. This is a good idea to try, though it is not done much.

A VM is essentially another PC. So you'd do the same to a VM that you'd do to the PC.

I have only ever heard of installing Windows first then Linux, so this method is tuned to that scenario. But Linux first then Windows might be possible: a web-search could determine this.

Put the Windows installer ISO into the VM's optical drive. Start the VM and install Windows, being careful to adjust the partitions in the Windows Installer to allow enough unused partition space for the Linux install.

Once Windows is installed, put the Linux installer ISO into the VM's optical drive. Start the VM and install Linux in a dual-boot configuration, per the Linux OS's normal methods.

I would use legacy BIOS instead of EFI for this.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:I have only ever heard of installing Windows first then Linux, so this method is tuned to that scenario. But Linux first then Windows might be possible: a web-search could determine this.
In a VM, it works the same as on a physical PC:

When Windows has been installed first and Linux is being installed second, it usually overwrites the Windows MBR (Master Boot Record), but integrates the already installed Windows OS in the Linux boot manager itself.

When Linux has been installed first and Windows is being installed second, it usually overwrites the Linux MBR (Master Boot Record), but does not integrate the already installed Linux OS in the Windows boot manager. In consequence, you'll either have to integrate the already installed Linux OS in the Windows boot manager yourself, or restore the Linux MBR and integrate the already installed Windows OS in the Linux boot manager.
MPC

Post by MPC »

OK! Thanks