FTP session from Host to Virtualbox VM: Connection Error

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
pv1973

FTP session from Host to Virtualbox VM: Connection Error

Post by pv1973 »

Hello,

I have set up a RHEL8 VM using virtualbox on my Windows 10 laptop.

In my virtualbox settings, I have the following Network settings:

Enable Network Adapter is checked
Attached to Bridge Adapter
Adapter Type is Paravirtualized Network (virtio-net)
Promiscuous Mode is Allow All
MAC Address is selected for the adapter
Cable Connected is unchecked as I am using WiFi adapter

I am trying to use mobaxterm from my Windows to initiate an ftp client session to the VM, after starting the vsftpd daemon on the VM. I am using the IP address that I get using ifconfig on the VM for this session. The output of the command shows the inet address for a virbr0 network (I cannot copy and paste the output of the ifconfig command here as I do not have guestadditions installed).

However the ftp client connection from mobaxterm returns a connection error.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong with the virtualbox settings that is causing this error?

TIA
Vinod
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: FTP session from Host to Virtualbox VM: Connection Error

Post by scottgus1 »

This'll be the problem, in one or two ways:
pv1973 wrote:Attached to Bridge Adapter ... Cable Connected is unchecked as I am using WiFi adapter
The virtual network adapter inside the VM is a wired Ethernet adapter, so its "cable" needs to be connected. And Bridged may not always work with Wi-Fi.

Connect the "cable", insure that the VM's IP address is in the host's IP address range and subnet, enable ping in the host's and VM OS's firewalls. See if the network can be pinged over. If it can, then the network has started working.

If it cannot ping, try a static IP address in the VM. If ping still doesn't work, then your Wi-Fi is not compatible with Bridged.

If Bridged will not work, try Host-Only. If you adjusted the VM's IP address, re-arrange it to match the Host-Only IP address range and subnet or go with Host-Only's DHCP.

Once you can get ping working, then the network is working, and further failures are because of configuration issues in the host and VM OS's, not in Virtualbox.

See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures