how to set up virtual box

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
philiploughlin

how to set up virtual box

Post by philiploughlin »

Hi there,

Have downloaded Virtual box to view a car manual that I have also downloaded to my hard drive. Have not got a clue how to set up the virtual box and be able to read car manual. Attached is a pic of the screen, its as far as I got. Would really appreciate some help for a complete novice.

Phil
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: how to set up virtual box

Post by scottgus1 »

Too bad they don't just publish the car manual as a PDF, huh? :lol:

If the manual file came as an OVA or OVF, look in the Virtualbox manual for importing a VM https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#ovf

If it came as something else, please let us know what it was.

If the screenshot shows an error message, post the text of the error message instead. If the screenshot shows important information, not just a black box or a seized guest OS, crop and resize the picture to get under the forum's 128kB size limit, then post the picture file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
philiploughlin

Post by philiploughlin »

Thanks,

There were 2 files that downloaded for manual. One was a pdf but it wont open. Error message says Adobe cant open file because it either cant support file type ova or it was corrupted on import ??

Anyway, will try look up guidelines link page you sent me.

Cheers

Phil
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

philiploughlin wrote:Adobe cant open file because it either cant support file type ova
This may mean that the file was really named "<car-manual-name.PDF.OVA" and the ".OVA" is being hidden by your host OS, probably Windows, which Microsoft so misguidedly designed to default to hide registered extensions and leads to just this kind of problem. The same sort of thing happens when your friend's email account gets hacked and someone sends out an email with an attachment "my favorite song.mp3" but is really "my favorite song.mp3.exe" and contains an executable with WannaCry on it instead of a song.... :shock:

Your file is an OVA, which is to be imported.
philiploughlin

Post by philiploughlin »

here is screen shot of VM message
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It's best to proofread your posts. Neither image you "posted" was posted.
scottgus1 wrote:If the screenshot shows an error message, post the text of the error message instead. If the screenshot shows important information, not just a black box or a seized guest OS, crop and resize the picture to get under the forum's 128kB size limit, then post the picture file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.