Critical Error running Windows Server 2019

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
RedMan

Critical Error running Windows Server 2019

Post by RedMan »

So I made a new VM and gave it the startup disk file, but whenever I try to start it I end up with a critical error
Last edited by mpack on 7. Jul 2021, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed title to reflect purpose of discussion
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Critical Error Support Needed

Post by scottgus1 »

You'll probably notice that the "critical error" message said there was a log file you'd need to share.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
RedMan

Post by RedMan »

Here is the log from my VM
Attachments
VboxLog.zip
(59.14 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)

The 2019 VM template may have a bug. Server 2019 will run in the 2016 template. Use the VM's General settings to change the Basic tab, Version dropdown to 'Windows 2016 64-bit'. Also check that the VM's System settings, Acceleration, Paravirtualization Interface says 'Hyper-V'. This is a comm channel provided by modern virtualization-aware OS's to talk to the hypervisor they're running on and is not the Hyper-V that blocks Virtualbox.

The test builds are reported to correct the 2019 template problem. If you decide to try a test build, save the installer file, because you'll need it if your host PC's MSI installer database goes south on you (they do sometimes, it is Windows after all) and the test build installers get deleted from virtualbox.org when the nest official version comes out.