Virtualbox is crashing

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
vladov

Virtualbox is crashing

Post by vladov »

Hello everyone,

My name is Iliyan, I am working in a support team, and we are using Virtualbox to create a test environment, then we delete it and when we need it again, we create a new one.
We didn't change anything in the computer or the VM, we didn't have any updates on anything, but now there's a problem.
When I create a Virtual machine, it freeze on one state and it cannot proceed.

I will attach a image with the screen that I have from the Windows installation and its freezed about 2-3 hours already.

The computer's parameters are:
CPU - Intel Core i7-7700
RAM - 16GB - 2x8 (2400 MHz)
GPU - nVidia GeForce GT 730
SSD - Samsung MZ7LN512HMJP-000H1
Resolution - always above 1280x720 (it's custom because we connect the PC with RDP)

The parameters that I set on the Virtualbox machine are:
CPU - 4 - 100% (it's in the green field)
RAM - 8 GB (it's in the green field)
Video memory - 128 GB
Then mark the checkbox for the SSD and make a shared folder.
I was using the same before and it was working fine.
The OS that I am trying to install is Windows 10 20H2.

We did a diagnostic on the SSD with our IT team and all was fine.

I would be very grateful for any assistance.
Thank you in advance!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox is crashing

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
vladov

Post by vladov »

Hi,

I am attaching the logs.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(71.34 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:11.895614 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4) <--- what you assigned to the guest
00:00:13.468374 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4 <--- what your host has available to it in total
Your host has 4 cores. Assigning them all to the VM doesn't leave a lot for the host to work with. Try reducing to 2 cores.

I see that your VM is trying to boot from an ISO ("Windows 10 20H2"). The naming is unusual. Where did that ISO come from? I think that a damaged or invalid ISO is a possibility.

Also, the topic title says "crash" but the text of your first post says "freeze". These are different things. I don't see any sign of a crash in the log.

As to the freeze, it mostly likely hasn't frozen, it's just incredibly slow because Hyper-v is enabled.
00:00:11.896312 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:11.918401 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).