Internet Connection causes pings to fail

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
CBCH

Re: Internet Connection causes pings to fail

Post by CBCH »

If you're doing this instead of adding the Bridged adapter, then it may be a good work-around, but it doesn't explain why adding the Bridged adapter killed ping.
In my humble opinion, I believe that my Ubuntu VM (the DMZ web server) that is connected to my PFSense HP (router) does not have a path to the Internet. Adding the NAT adapter to both the router and the web server fixed this issue. I hope this makes sense.

PS: My supposed (external) zone is not really the Internet, it is just a simulation. I confused someone else earlier today, so I just want to clarify this.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Internet Connection causes pings to fail

Post by scottgus1 »

Personally I did gather that the External was a simulated Internet. I also see how putting a NAT connection into the pfSense could provide Internet.

However, merely adding a Bridged adapter to a VM does not just "stop ping" all of the time, unless there is another situation in place that could set up a condition where your Bridged adapter interferes with your ping. And you do have at least 5 "other situations" in the form of those parallel networks that Virtualbox says are connected. Without knowing any details about the networks besides "dmz", it cannot be stated for certainty why adding a Bridged adapter caused ping to fail or if other troubles may not ensue later.

You certainly don't have to troubleshoot further if you don't want to. And I'm glad you got a working internet path. But those parallel networks may bite later. Just a note to remember.