Black screen with prompt in VM

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
rav4764

Black screen with prompt in VM

Post by rav4764 »

Hi ,
I have created a new VM using VirtualBox on my laptop with Windows 10.
I have installed Windows 2016 on the VM. My laptop is fairly good spec 16GB RAM, decent graphics etc. I also have Hyper V virtualisation enabled.

When I start my VM, it boots up but Windows does not load correctly. Instead I get a black screen with a windows prompt to enter admin password, which I did, then
it stays with black screen and a command window.

I have tried disable 3D Acceleration, also tried in Safe mode . I have also tried using Hyper V also. I get similar issue there. I have tried removing Hyper V in Windows features. This made no difference.

Any suggestions what am I missing to get Windows 2016 load up properly on my VM.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Black screen with prompt in VM

Post by scottgus1 »

rav4764 wrote:Windows 2016 on the VM ... I get a black screen with a windows prompt
Did you install the text-only version of 2016? Perhaps the "Core" version? This is possible in real computers too. Web-search how to get the GUI installed or start over with the regular OS.
rav4764 wrote:I also have Hyper V virtualisation enabled.
This may or may not cause trouble. If the performance is OK, then your PC might run Virtualbox on Hyper-V OK. If you have trouble, disabling Hyper-V will be the first troubleshooting step. See See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
rav4764

Post by rav4764 »

Many Thanks. It was the installation option.
All works now.

I would like to be able to connect from my host to VM and vice versa. Also copy/paste contents.
Can you please provide some pointers.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Install Guest Additions, see section 4 in the manual. That gives shared clipboard, Virtualbox Shared Folders, and full-screen.

The Network settings default to NAT, which give internet in the VM. Other options are available, see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures. Bridged and Host-Only allow unrestricted passage of documents and services between host and VM. Bridged also let's the rest of your devices on your LAN into the party.