Guidance Read on Networking Setup

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Camege

Guidance Read on Networking Setup

Post by Camege »

Hi All,

New user looking for some guidance on Network setup.

I built 3 Linux VM's to create a mini lab which I want them to be able to talk to each other, the internet and the host. Was looking for some guidance on the best approach on how to do this.

I would assume I need to allocate a fixed ip address to each of the VM's to allow them to talk to each other, but not sure on which network config to use within virtual box to allow my VM's to talk to each other, the internet and allow me to SSH into them from the host machine.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

John
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guidance Read on Networking Setup

Post by scottgus1 »

See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures.

If you want the host, the VMs, and the internet all in the network, use Bridged. Note that Bridged does not always work with Wi-Fi, so try wired Ethernet first. Fixed IP addresses are not necessary, but might be useful if a particular VM has network services that should be accessed by other VMs or LAN devices.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Guidance Read on Networking Setup

Post by BillG »

Note that bridged mode is only useful if you host is on a network which has Internet access through a router and preferably has its own DHCP. It is not much use on a standalone PC with its own direct connection to the Internet. Scott makes this clear in the reference he gave you. The host is on a LAN in the bridged example.
Bill