Discuss the 6.1.22 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
NorbyD

Re: Discuss the 6.1.22 release

Post by NorbyD »

Hi,

I just updated to this release. I was worried it would screw up my setup and was pleasantly surprised it didn't. Very seamless!

Question:

What are the benefits of this release, if any? Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

NorbyD wrote:What are the benefits of this release, if any? Thanks.
Look over the changelog, linked in the first post in this topic.
nikkoaki

Post by nikkoaki »

rseiler wrote:Does anyone have context for "VMM: Improved performance of 64-bit Windows and Solaris guests when Hyper-V is used on recent Windows 10 hosts" to be able to put it into perspective?

How much slower than normal was a Windows guest before (when Hyper-V is enabled on the host) and how much slower is it now with 6.1.22?
It depends, in some cases it seems the performance is the same as it was with previous versions but there are cases where the difference is night and day.
With previous versions, my Win 7 VM took more than half an hour to boot with hyper-v turned on and navigating the OS was simply impossible. My linux and Win XP VM's are slower with Hyper-v but totally usable. They just don't feel snappy. For example, with VT-x i can play a 4K youtube video inside my Win7 VM and it just drops one or two frames now and then. With Hyper-v enabled, It struggles to play even 1080p video. The audio stutters and it drops lot's of frames.
Anyway, with the latest reslease my Win7 VM now boots just fine and is fast enough. It's still slower than VT-x but it's 300x faster than it was before. My linux and Win XP VM's don't seem to be faster with this new version but i didn't test them extensively. I downgraded virtualbox because of the audio issues.
winnithedevil

Post by winnithedevil »

Sorry for my false statement, my audio problem (no sound output: Windows 10 Pro (via Virtual Box) on the Mac (OS Big Sure) has not been resolved with any Update of VirtualBox.