Discuss the 6.1.22 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
EllePoub

Re: Discuss the 6.1.22 release

Post by EllePoub »

Hello,

I have just installed 6.1.22 and uninstalled it right away to reinstall 6.1.18.
Reason :
My Linux VM "LinuxMint 20.1 Cinnamon64" with encrypted hard-disk couldn't be started anymore.
Screen was frozen after typing the password on : "Disk SDA unencrypted successfully" but then nothing ...
I have latest update of Windows 10 professional for info

So it seems some regressions or bugs have been introduced as it doesn't start my VM anymore (VM which was created 2 to 3 months ago)

After reinstallation of version 6.1.18 VM now works flawlessly again

Thank you
Regards
EllePoub

Post by EllePoub »

Update :
In fact it worked only once even when downgrading to version 6.1.18 ... it now stays stuck indefinitely on : " cryptsetup: sda6_crypt: set up successfully"
Now my VM is totally unavailable while it was running perfectly well before upgrade ...

I knew it by heart and experience ... but nonetheless and once again ... moral of the story: "Don't fix it if it ain't broke ! " :?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Given your results I'm not sure how you can be sure that the update to 6.1.22 caused the problem? So far it could just be coincidence.

I would suggest that in future you make backups of data you can't bear to lose, especially before making any big changes (meaning any change you could suspect might cause problems).
EllePoub

Post by EllePoub »

Hi,

I personally don't believe in THAT kind of coincidence (I am a system and security engineer).
Indeed being paranoid IT person I fortunately backed up the VM few weeks before so hopefully it won't be too much of a trouble to have it back on track but still it is some extra work I would have preferably avoided.

However, this is of course not a critical VM otherwise I wouldn't have upgraded virtualbox and I am grateful that the soft is free but I think it was worth mentioning for other people or devs that there is clearly an issue on this matter.

EDIT : After testing with another Linux VM that I also had, a "LinuxMint 20.1" but "Mate64" this time, serving the same purpose than the cinnamon with the same config (encrypted disk and kernel 5.4.0-72) which had never been started using 6.1.22. This VM started and ran smoothly using 6.1.18.
After a Linux system update and restart, the VM Mate was also stuck at " cryptsetup: sdax_crypt: set up successfully" under 6.1.18. Then after a poweroff and restart it started again normally.

So here were the events :
Upgrading from 6.1.18 to 6.1.22 => prevented Cinnamon64 VM to start. Reverting to 6.1.18 made it start again but after system security updates it went stuck again then after being killed and restarted it worked again
From version 6.1.18 starting Mate VM has always been OK until System security update was done then it was frozen then killed and then it restarted normally.

That being said, now in order to have the VMs to boot I need to select manually the kernel to be used (which was not the case previously) I select the default one but if I don't do it manually it goes stuck. Strange, strange ...

So for me it's a mix of issues with "upgrade 6.1.22" and "latest linux security patches", so from now on I'll stick to version 6.1.18 anyway as I have exhausted my debug bandwidth for that subject and I know how time consuming this can be ...
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

6.1.22 also refused to boot on some Linux machines for me as well, and on the ones that booted Guest Additions failed to upgrade.
Kernel reinstall: "apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-$(uname -r)" sorted the Guest Additions issue.

On the machines that refused to boot, choosing an older kernel helped it to boot then removing the problematic kernel and reinstalling made boot fine !!??
I did not investigate this issue properly, but these are my observations.

Rolling back to 6.1.18 resulted in this issue:
Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!
Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings.
Note! This error could also mean that an incompatible version of the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is installed (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Changing the USB Controller from 2.0 (OHCI + EHCI) to 1.1 (OHCI) made it boot again.

For the benefit of the developers, this is the link for the blank taskbar icon issue:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102772
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Simple07 wrote: Rolling back to 6.1.18 resulted in this issue:
Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!
Sounds like a standard consequence of not rolling back the host extension pack at the same time.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

Yes mpack, you are right.
I have the habit of deleting the Oracle folder inside Program Files. Having re-installed 6.1.18 again, I forgot to install the Extension Pack and did not test any machine. Days later I could not remember what I have done.
My wife tells me that this is normal for people of my age!! Or was it my wife who said that?
nosirrahx

Post by nosirrahx »

The problem I was getting in earlier builds (media losing sound and slowing to 50% speed) is completely gone but was replaced with sound looping or becoming incredibly scratchy almost constantly.

Host and guest are both 19043.964 64bit.
Mudoch

Post by Mudoch »

Well I'll add my $0.02 worth of info.

Updated to this release. Host is Windows 10 H20xxx fully up to date. Guest is also Windows 10 h20xxx and fully up to date, Start an app as Admin kicks the usual prompt for User Account Control dialog up and that sound will play fine but then reverberates endlessly until I shutdown the guest. In testing further I got it to stop temporarily by playing a sound from the Control Panel sounds settings dialog. Then during the remaining run of the guest session no issue. Upon restart of the Guest the issue returned and again I stopped by forcing a sound through the Control Panel Sounds Dialog.

Hope this helps in a final resolve.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Mudoch wrote:but then reverberates endlessly until I shutdown the guest.
No need for that. Just mute the audio in the VM Devices menu.
juergenjh

Re: Discuss the 6.1.22 release - Hyper-V

Post by juergenjh »

Changelog of version 6.1.22 states, that improvements were made for hosts with activated Hyper-V.
So I checked it at my Windows 10 20H2 host, with WSL2 enabled (which uses Hyper-V components).
Indeed, now I can run a Windows 10 x64 guest successfully, which was not possible before.
There are a lot of dicussions here, which request this feature. At least for me it's working now.
It would be interesting, if it's running in other configurations for other users too.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I can confirm the improvements for my Windows 10 20H2 host. On VirtualBox 6.1.18, a Linux VM ran ok, but a Windows VM was unbearably slow. With VirtualBox 6.1.22, both VMs run ok. With "ok" I describe a speed ratio of 2:3, e.g. 40 seconds VM startup without Hyper-V, and 60 seconds VM startup with Hyper-V.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Regarding audio-related issues in VirtualBox 6.1.22 and older, please see VirtualBox 6.1 test builds with audio changes.
dement

Post by dement »

please fix the looping/echoing audio
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@dement, did you read the topic before you ranted? The post by 'fth0' above yours has a suggested fix.