VirtualMachine Storage Issues

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Santy

VirtualMachine Storage Issues

Post by Santy »

I have been using Ubuntu 20.04 iso file to run Ubuntu in t=my virtualbox. As soon as I finish the installation and close the main virtualbox window,The iso file keeps getting disconnected and I have to reinstall it again from scratch. This happened atleast 3-4 times in a day. Had the same issue with my Kali Linux Machine too. The Iso file just gets disconnected for no reason.
Attachments
The controller IDE gets disonnected
The controller IDE gets disonnected
VirtualBox_TnnymjAccG.png (25.03 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualMachine Storage Issues

Post by scottgus1 »

The Linux ISOs that I have installed in the last couple years auto-eject the ISO so the VM can then boot from the installation on the VM's hard drive. Otherwise the VM would keep running the installer on the ISO and not let the changes you want to keep stick.

Could it be you are running the LiveCD environment without actually installing? Or maybe there is some mistake being made in the way you're trying to install Linux?
Santy

Post by Santy »

After it auto-ejects do you have to install the Machine again? Mine is a similar case. It was working fine before started happening recently. Even tried the Live CD/DVD option was out of luck. Does having the virtualbox and virtualmachine in two separate drives affect it ?
Last edited by scottgus1 on 29. Apr 2021, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed full quote of previous message
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Santy wrote:After it auto-ejects do you have to install the Machine again?
No. There's a choice to install to hard disk or run a LiveCD. I have mostly installed to hard disk. Then the VM boots to the hard disk and does not need the ISO anymore.
Santy wrote:Does having the virtualbox and virtualmachine in two separate drives affect it ?
No, that should not be a problem.
Santy wrote:It was working fine before started happening recently.
If you used to be able to install to hard disk and can't anymore, then something is being done differently.

Installing Linux from ISO or CD would be the same in any VM from any hypervisor or on any physical PC. You might try a web-search for a tutorial on installing Linux and try it in a VM.