Using more VRAM

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
AdrianBecker

Using more VRAM

Post by AdrianBecker »

How can I allocate more than 256MB VRAM to my VM?

I want to run programs in my guest system that automatically check VRAM before they launch. If the program does not detect 2GB it closes down automatically although it is just image editing software.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Using more VRAM

Post by mpack »

You can't assign more than 256MB VRAM. VirtualBox doesn't need it since the actual rendering work is done on the host: the "graphics RAM" allocated to the VM comes from host PC RAM, not host graphics RAM, so 2GB PC RAM would be an awful lot to waste.

You should speak to the vendors of the software about their invalid assumptions.
AdrianBecker

Re: Using more VRAM

Post by AdrianBecker »

I understand virtualbox does not need it. I have 64GB of PC RAM and would like to have the choice. I think virtualbox is a great product but I really don't like when the program thinks it knows what is best for me. The option to overwrite the setting via command line (with an additional warning) would give much more flexibility. But than on the other hand I can understand why you don't want to enable an option that will make users who don't know what they are doing submit error reports and keep you busy for no good reason.
In the end I found a workaround by manually forcing installation of a graphics card and emulating it.