Available Ram is missing 4GB after uninstalling VirtualBox

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Ashburry

Available Ram is missing 4GB after uninstalling VirtualBox

Post by Ashburry »

I just uninstalled viortualbox because I felt I did not have enough memory. My system has 8GB total physical memory but now system information says I have 4 GB available. How do I restore my lost 4GB of physical memory? I am sure everyone else who has installed this application has the same problem but I cannot find any answer to this question. My installed physical ram is 8GB that is what my computer came with when I bought it available is only 4.86GB
Ashburry

Re: Available Ram is missing 4GB after uninstalling VirtualBox

Post by Ashburry »

I think I have this problem solved. I reinstalled Virtualbox and it has my old guest system there where I can change the amount of ram the guest has as well as delete the system from my pc. I am assuming if I delete the system from my computer using VirtualBox then I will be able to restore my available memory to the total memory. Yes, I choose to Remove the machine then it asked to "delete" or "remove" and I chose "remove only" and everything worked out fine. I did not even need to reboot.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Available Ram is missing 4GB after uninstalling VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

No matter what placebo effect you convince yourself of: VirtualBox has no influence whatever on the amount of RAM the host reports available when VirtualBox is not running.

VirtualBox has no influence period, whether running or not, on the amount of total installed RAM the host OS reports.

VirtualBox is an app like any other, running with resources loaned to it by the host OS. The fact that VirtualBox pretends to be hardware (for the guest OS only) doesn't mean it can magically overpower the host OS's control of resources.