How to use bridge acces

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
nordinez

How to use bridge acces

Post by nordinez »

Do I have to be connected with an ethernet cable to use a vm in bridge access
I saw in a post a person who said that to be able to use a vm in access by bridge with a pbx it was mandatory to use an ethernet cable
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to use bridge acces

Post by scottgus1 »

Bridged has been said to work only when the host's network adapter is connected to a working network. However I have read once that a static IP address in the VM lets Bridged work without a network attached to the host. I would have to try it to confirm.
nordinez

Post by nordinez »

When you say that the network adapter must be connected, what do you mean by that, is it simply possible to access via pint without ethernet cable or is it impossible?
scottgus1 wrote:Bridged has been said to work only when the host's network adapter is connected to a working network.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If a device did not have a network adapter, how could it possibly receive any network traffic from anywhere?

Bridged mode simply allows a vm to share a network connection of the host PC. When a packet arrives at the host's ethernet connection the VirtualBox filter driver, working with the device driver of the network adapter, redirects traffic addressed to the vm to the vm's network adapter. If it is addressed to the host, it is not intercepted and is processed by the host's adapter.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A VM can still theoretically communicate with the host when bridged to a host NIC that no cable is connected to. In practice there will be no DHCP server so the network will not work without additional work.
nordinez

Post by nordinez »

BillG wrote:If a device did not have a network adapter, how could it possibly receive any network traffic from anywhere?

mpack wrote:so the network will not work without additional work.
Okay so I guess the answer is no but let's say I put my pbx in a vps I wouldn't need a cable etc like with a virtual machine? (Sorry if the question has nothing to do with virtualbox)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Don't know what a vps is.

Lest we go down a rabbit hole following an "XY problem", please explain:
nordinez wrote:Do I have to be connected with an ethernet cable to use a vm in bridge access
Why does being connected with an ethernet cable concern you?
What is the original problem you face?
nordinez

Post by nordinez »

scottgus1 wrote: What is the original problem you face?
vps = virtual private server

My problem is exactly the same as this person : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102541

I would like to know if using a vps (sort of renting a computer) would allow me to avoid all the network problems such as using the bridge access which according to some would require an ethernet access to the network or to modify some parameters
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we have still not got a full understanding of the other post's problem. There's a disconnect there, yet.

If you plan to have communication into or out of your VM with some location in the universe, you must have a network, and the network must be connected somehow, either through wire, fiber, or radio.

A VM acts just like a real PC on the network. Whatever you do to a real PC on a network, whether it's your PC or rented from a provider, the network will still have to be configured, and you'd have to do exactly the same in a Bridged VM.

You should look over Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures to see what Virtualbox's networks can do.

Bridged just means your VM acts like it is attached to your host's network through a virtual unmanaged switch.

If you can describe your particular setup and needs more clearly, a la rubber-duck debugging, we might be able to guide you better.

BTW using a vps might add extra trouble if you want to run a Virtualbox VM on it. If you rent a physical server, and the OS provided has Hyper-V or KVM installed, your Virtualbox VM might not run well or at all, and you'd need admin privileges over the server, which might cost more or not be available. If your rented server is a VM, then you'd be running your VM nested, which has its own can of worms to open. If you're thinking of running your app or service in the vps directly, without a Virtualbox VM, then that's beyond the scope of the forum.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Okay so I guess the answer is no but let's say I put my pbx in a vps I wouldn't need a cable etc like with a virtual machine? (Sorry if the question has nothing to do with virtualbox).

You are correct that it has nothing to do with VirtualBox (or VirtualBox bridged networking).

A VPS is simply a virtual machine running on a large server somewhere. How it communicates with the outside world will depend on how it is configured and what virtualization software it uses. It will not behave like a vm running under a program like VirtualBox running on your own PC.

If your VPS is a vm running on a server in the cloud, how could you attach any sort of cable to it?
Bill
nordinez

Post by nordinez »

BillG wrote: If your VPS is a vm running on a server in the cloud, how could you attach any sort of cable to it?

I suppose that a vps is connected by cable in the place where it is managed that seems logical to me, especially if it is a large company I do not think they will use wifi to manage all their servers
scottgus1 wrote: If you plan to have communication into or out of your VM with some location in the universe, you must have a network, and the network must be connected somehow, either through wire, fiber, or radio.
yes so by simply using a wifi network without ethernet cable or anything I could not communicate through my pbx on my vm

What I mean by that is that a vps will immediately solve this cable problem in some way
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

If you use a VPS you will not be able to use VirtualBox inside it.
A VPS is already a virtual machine using some other solution for virtualization.

The "cable problem" is about running VirtualBox on your own physical PC or laptop. Here in many cases bridged networking doesn't work reliably over wireless adapters.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

nordinez wrote:yes so by simply using a wifi network without ethernet cable
Wait, so all of this is about using wi-fi instead of wired ethernet? :shock: :lol:

As Martin says, Bridged does not always work over Wi-fi, see the 'In Pictures' link above. I have heard a hint that setting a static IP address in the VM's OS can make a failing Wi-fi Bridged VM start working, but my Wi-fi-capable host & router work with Bridged, so I cannot test this work-around.
nordinez

Post by nordinez »

Martin wrote:Here in many cases bridged networking doesn't work reliably over wireless adapters.
scottgus1 wrote:Bridged does not always work over Wi-fi
I'm sure I installed my pbx perfectly so yes in my opinion the problem does come from there, can this wireless wifi "problem" with bridge access be fixed?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

nordinez wrote:can this wireless wifi "problem" with bridge access be fixed?
Read more carefully, please, the answer to this in in the post above.