What is the reccomended amount of RAM and CPU for a Windows 10 VM?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Nick Anber

What is the reccomended amount of RAM and CPU for a Windows 10 VM?

Post by Nick Anber »

I have been trying for ages.
On my host machine I have 6 CPU cores and 16 GB of ram.

I currently allow my VM to use 11 GB of ram and 1 CPU core, allowing it to use more than 1 CPU core makes the VM slow and non-responsive.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: What is the reccomended amount of RAM and CPU for a Windows 10 VM?

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows 10 adores 2 processors, if everything else is set properly. Post a log and we can check.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Let it get booted up and logged in, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log and the hardening log next to it, zip them, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
JustinH

Post by JustinH »

Most of my W10 VMs run 2 cores and 4GB RAM.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Windows 10 is CPU intensive and notorious for using everything you throw at it, in which case, it can often perform worse by giving it a relatively high amount of resources. In your case you ultimately need to give it more CPU cores and less RAM. You might also try enabling 3D acceleration and bumping up the available VRAM.