The mouse cursor form

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Leloup78

The mouse cursor form

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

I don't understand. The pointer, I mean the arrow that allows you to click on an icon. For some time, now, this arrow has been turning into a group of something indefinable. It looks like a group of words which replaces the arrow. Maybe it's a sentence but it's so small that it's unreadable. That's not always the case. It depends on the background. For example, when the Win7 guest boots, it appears in black on the background of the blue boot page and then disappears when Win7 guest is running. For Linux guest booting, it's the same. This micro sentence appears in white on a black background. Then disappears when Linux guest is running.

Do you have any idea where this comes from?
This seems to be a VirtualBox problem. No?

Regards,
Leloup
Last edited by Leloup78 on 11. Mar 2021, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Leloup78

Re: The strange pointer form

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

There is nothing like a picture to understand the problem. You can see above the "Please unlock" a cluster of white dots. This is the shape of the pointer.
Attachments
Pointer.jpg
Pointer.jpg (126.75 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
EliasAmeye
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by EliasAmeye »

Hi

Maybe there is something wrong with your version of VirtualBox, or maybe your Guest additions aren't working fine. You could maybe reinstall VirtualBox and see if that fixes your problem.
But if it disappears when you're OS is running, then its not such a critical problem, no?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The correct term is "mouse cursor". Pointer is understandable, but the cursor can have other shapes.

And no, I don't think this is a VirtualBox problem. VirtualBox doesn't draw the mouse cursor, either the guest OS or host OS does that, depending on whether mouse integration is active.
Leloup78

Re: The mouse cursor form

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

This trouble would come from a GPU driver problem. The question then arises of finding the right driver in agreement with the GPU and with VirtualBox. Not so simple. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. I went to the NVIDIA website and downloaded the latest drivers. They are drivers to improve games and I have a lot of doubts about how they work with VirtualBox.
I have tried it. The strange shape of the mouse disappeared on the black background. :D The problem seemed to be solved but a new problem of graphics rendering appeared. :( Moreover if I restart guest, it crashes. :cry:
I went back to the old driver and I think I'll accept and live :) with this strange mouse shape that looks like a sentence in micro format.

Regards,
Leloup
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: The mouse cursor form

Post by scottgus1 »

Leloup78 wrote:a new problem of graphics rendering appeared. Moreover if I restart guest, it crashes.
Put the new drivers back on, then start a new topic with a complete description and a zipped vbox.log.