Virtualbox on game

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Hào Nguyễn

Virtualbox on game

Post by Hào Nguyễn »

Is there any way to play games on virtualbox, please, please instruct me when I use virtualbox to play games, the error message appears "this program can not be run under"
Help me please. :( :( :( :(
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtualbox on game

Post by mpack »

Can you report the complete sentence? I.e.

"This program can not be run under <what?>"

If it says "this program cannot be run on a virtual machine" then there is nothing you can do about it in general (i.e. without relying on a poor implementation by a particular app). Virtual machines are quite easy to detect.

Also, this check is not restricted to games, and in fact games don't always do this check. In many instances the game will check whether you have the game CD/DVD in the virtual drive (enable CD passthough to make this more likely to work), or that you are logged into an online server. In my experience the only games that check for VMs are those that check for cheating, e.g. an online poker server, making sure you aren't taking multiple seats at a table and are therefore colluding with yourself. Poker clients will have quite rigorous VM detection.

Finally, in answer to a broader point, virtual machines make terrible gaming platforms. A virtual machine has to simulate hardware AND share resources with a host OS, which makes it unlikely that any hardware demanding app will run acceptably. Virtual machines are good for apps where timing is not particularly important.
Hào Nguyễn

Old problem but I really need help ?

Post by Hào Nguyễn »

I tried to enable my game on virtualbox guest but no success please help me I have searched all on google but the result is only 0 I'm so sad because of this problem it's very bad but only in return " Sorry, this application cannot run under a virtualbox " :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
AndyCot

Re: Old problem but I really need help ?

Post by AndyCot »

Looks like the same/very very similar post as before:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101118&p=490814#p490814
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Good eye, Andy! 'Tis the same question.

Hào Nguyễn, the answer today is the same as it was back then. If the programmer of the game doesn't want it to run in a virtual machine, it won't. There's nothing you can do. You'll have to run the game on the physical PC.
moranrs

Post by moranrs »

You did not provide any image description error
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

moranrs, what image inscription error do you refer to?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I assume he's referring to a screenshot plus a description of the error, per the "min info needed" faq.