Problems with VLANS in network card BRIDGE mode

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
acsoprana

Problems with VLANS in network card BRIDGE mode

Post by acsoprana »

hello guys, i will try to put my problem in the best possible way so that they can understand and help me. (VirtualBox 6.1.16)

Host: Descktop with two physical network cards, the first in bridge mode, provides internet via pfsense to the internal network.
The second also in bridge mode physically connected to a switch (aruba 2930f) for testing and trafficking VLANS tagged and untagged on real equipment.

My problem is: I am not able to travel the vlans created in PFSENSE on the second network interface to reach the switch.
But if I use a connection without Vlan, only common traffic computers receive ips.

I already used this scenario in a version 5.2.12 of the virtualbox where it already worked and this week unfortunately I upgraded to aversion 6.1.16 and it didn't work anymore.

the attached diagram of my network is attached. I hope it was clear enough to help me .. (sorry for my English) ..
Attachments
network.png
network.png (89.84 KiB) Viewed 12042 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problems with VLANS in network card BRIDGE mode

Post by scottgus1 »

acsoprana wrote:I upgraded to aversion 6.1.16 and it didn't work anymore.
There is a remote possibility that the upgrade didn't install the Bridged driver properly.

Try a fresh new VM, Bridged to Eth1, and see if the VM's OS can get access to Eth1's regular LAN and internet. If so, then Bridged is working. If you have a Windows host, you can also check the bindings on Eth1 and Eth2 to see if the Virtualbox Bridged binding is checked:

Other host OS's may have a similar way to check that the Bridged binding is connected to Eth1 and Eth2.
acsoprana

Post by acsoprana »

Hello, scott, thanks for contacting ..

So, I already tested the bridge connection that connects to eth2 on the switch (physical equipment) without the vlans and the ip range of ips traveled perfectly across the bridge and the switch reaching the desktops .. but when I try to play the vlans to follow the network these do not reach the switch ..

Also, I already removed and reinstalled the drivers for both the network card and the virtualbox and it didn't work. I already used another network card and even then it didn't work either.

It is very strange ..

I have already verified reports of network cards that remove the markings of vlans, and researching reported that disabling Property & Vlan would work, but it did not work.

grateful for the attention.
Attachments
Propriedade.png
Propriedade.png (18.89 KiB) Viewed 12024 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It's good that non-VLAN Bridging works, so the underlying network setup is good.

I have no experience troubleshooting VLANs, you'll have to wait on that front until someone who does comes along.

One thing you could check is if the virtual network adapter that Virtualbox is providing to the pfSense VM, and the drivers pfSense is using to run that adapter, are VLAN-compatible. Also check that the physical adapter and drivers for Eth2 in the physical PC are VLAN-compatible.
acsoprana

Post by acsoprana »

So, in the host I use a physical card "Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4", and in VirtualBox also a server adapter ..

I believe that the problem may be between the VirtualBox and Windows 10 of the Host .. but I am still struggling to discover this problem .. because until the version of 5.2.12 of virtualBox that my environment worked perfectly, and now that I needed to resume needing update the virtualbox to adjust some details I run into this problem with Vlans ..

Thanks for your collaboration
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The quickest test to see if it is a problem with Virtualbox is to revert to 5.2.12 and see if the functionality comes back.
acsoprana

Post by acsoprana »

so, i already tried this possibility .. but the virtualbox does not start due to incompatibility with windows 10 ...
TheBearAK

Post by TheBearAK »

So I'm guessing there isn't a solution to this yet?

I'm running a Mac and have a trunk with 4 VLANs connected to it. All the Virtual interfaces work fine on the Mac, but if I try to bridge one of them to the VM (running Windows 7) it simply will not work. NAT works fine. I'd like to get the Windows 7 using an IP on one of the VLANs so other devices can talk to it directly.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

TheBearAK wrote:So I'm guessing there isn't a solution to this yet?
I don't see one presented here, so I'll wager that your assessment is fair.

The forum is run by volunteer Virtualbox users who answer what questions they can when they have time. Looks like no one who knows VLANs in a Virtualbox context has seen this topic.

A possible work-around is to use a USB network adapter that is compatible with your VLAN and pass the adapter into the VM using a Virtualbox USB filter. The adapter would be run by the VM OS directly, no need to Bridge.
JoeAshley

Post by JoeAshley »

scottgus1 wrote:
TheBearAK wrote:So I'm guessing there isn't a solution to this yet?
I don't see one presented here, so I'll wager that your assessment is fair.

The forum is run by volunteer Virtualbox users who answer what questions they can when they have time. Looks like no one who knows VLANs in a Virtualbox context has seen this topic.

A possible work-around is to use a USB network adapter that is compatible with your VLAN and pass the adapter into the VM using a Virtualbox USB filter. The adapter would be run by the VM OS directly, no need to Bridge.

I am running into the same issue and am willing to help. Bridging works for me also until I try to use a vlan. I have added vlan adapters in the guest OS's (Ubuntu) and I still have the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Heckfy

Post by Heckfy »

Recently, already in the version of Virtualbox 6.1.14, I encountered this problem. Windows 10 Pro host and Windows Server 2016 virtual machine. It was necessary to pass tagged traffic of 2 vlans to the virtual machine. Did not work out. virtualbox ndis6 bridged networking driver doesn't let tagged traffic through. I had to create virtual adapters on the host with the corresponding vlan id using the utilities of the network adapter manufacturer, in my case it is Realtek. But the created virtual adapters could not work with the virtualbox ndis6 bridged networking driver. Moreover, if the virtualbox ndis6 bridged networking driver is installed on the physical network adapter, then the physical network adapter will not be able to work with vlan. Therefore, on the physical network adapter, turn off the virtualbox ndis6 bridged networking driver. Next, I created a microsoft bridge on the host and added the above virtual adapters to it. After that, in the connection settings, Virtualbox appeared to select the Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver. We select it for connecting the Network Bridge type. The resulting connection made it possible to work with vlan. The only tagged traffic remained between the host and the trunk port of the switch. Unfortunately, I did not find a way to directly transfer tagged traffic to the virtual machine.