Mouse clicks don't work (but hovering does) in LinuxVM on macOS host

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
operation420.net
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Mouse clicks don't work (but hovering does) in LinuxVM on macOS host

Post by operation420.net »

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Fedora VM. Randomly a bunch of clicks on the spot spot get registered then clicks after that fail to register. I am using VNC to macOS host (Mojave) and not sure if that's related.

I read a suggestion to update to the latest version of the VirtualBox guest additions, I already am on the latest version.

I would restart as a workaround and used the VM until it happened again. I found a better workaround is to select "Mouse Integration" from the Input menu to disable it and move the cursor in capture mode and it works as expected and I can re-enable "Mouse Integration" and it works for a while again. But the kicker is this workaround only works when I have physically at the machine and not over VNC :(
viewtopic.php?t=8208
operation420.net

Re: Mouse clicks don't work (but hovering does) in LinuxVM on macOS host

The VM is running Fedora release 32 (Thirty Two) 64 Bit.

Version 6.1.8 r137981 (Qt5.6.3) on macOS Mojave
viewtopic.php?t=8208
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

First question I can think of is: Does it happen when you are physically sitting at the host computer?

If it does, then the problem is in Virtualbox or the VM's OS. If it only happens while remoting in, then the problem is in the remote-in software.
operation420.net

scottgus1 wrote:First question I can think of is: Does it happen when you are physically sitting at the host computer?

If it does, then the problem is in Virtualbox or the VM's OS. If it only happens while remoting in, then the problem is in the remote-in software.
Now I always use this machine remotely (I used to use it physically before). I think it might have happened before when I was physically at the machine, but I'm not 100% sure...
viewtopic.php?t=8208
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

We will have to pin down if this problem happens when running the guest without remote software. See if you can do that, or at least try a different remote software.
operation420.net

scottgus1 wrote:We will have to pin down if this problem happens when running the guest without remote software. See if you can do that, or at least try a different remote software.
I moved and presently don't have physical access to that machine.

However I am having similar issues on Windows 10 VM in Win10 host connecting from RDP (opposed to VNC on mac w/ Fedora VM) from Windows 10.

Say if I am selecting files sometimes when I double click in the VM (this seems to be the trigger of it) what happens is if I have file1 selected and click file4, files 1 through 4 (file1,file2...file4) would be selected as if I was holding down the shift button (my host key combo is Right CTRL+RIght Shift if that matters) when I clicked. If I exit scaled mode (if that matters) and from the Input menu uncheck Mouse Integration and move the mouse around, it works as expected. I can then re-enable Mouse Integration and scaled mode...
viewtopic.php?t=8208