Unable to access snapshots.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Mystical_Titan

Unable to access snapshots.

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Hi everyone. I'm going to try and make my problem as clear as possible.

I created a linked clone of a VM in order to access a back-up copy of one of the VM data files = One VM with three VDIs for each seperate drive (1x OS, 2x data).

I worked between the original VM and the clone a few times, I assume at this point the system started creating snapshots. I copied the data that I needed and proceeded to delete the cloned VM from VM Manager, as well as the cloned VM folder. Everything still fine at this point, although VM Manager did still indicate that the main VM was connected to a linked clone.

I booted the original VM after deleting the clone and it still booted fine. I then needed to shut it down again and when I then wanted to boot a second time, that is when the crap started. I removed the original VM config from the Manager and wanted to re-add it by opening the VBOX file, but then receive an error that the VDI files cannot be added because they are linked to an existing VM, even though there are no VMs in Manager anymore. The Virtual Media Manager was also empty.

I then restored a copy of the VBOX file I had made previously (prior to the clone) and now the VM boots properly. However, all data created / saved / stored after the clone is now gone, as the restored VBOX file has no record of any snapshots.

I require the data lying in the snapshots (which I still have). How do I go about this? Is it even possible? Keeping in mind that the contents of the original VDIs have changed (I had to boot the server in order for my client to be operational).

I hope all of this makes sense, I will be eternally grateful to anyone that is able to help me.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to access snapshots.

Post by scottgus1 »

Frankly I don't think there is anything you can do, there has been so much activity. (It's also called 'thrashing', trying this and that until the skein is so tangled one has no choice but to pull an Alexander the Great and throw it all away.) Unless you took a backup of the entire setup before you started working on the project.

A linked clone does start a "snapshot" of sorts in the original VM. Since the disk for the original VM now becomes the basis for more than one VM, the original disk must lock, and the further activity for that original VM goes in a differencing disk. Full clones may take up more disk space but do not cause differencing disks.

Editing in and out .vbox files on VMs with snapshots and differencing disks can destroy the ability to get at data in a normal fashion.

The only way available to get data in a snapshot disk that is no longer referenced properly in the .vbox file is to clone the snapshot disk with Mpack's CloneVDI. The entire chain of disk files, from the base disk to the snapshot disk being cloned, must be present. Use 'vboxmanage shomediuminfo "path\to\disk\file" ' to check the parent and child UUIDs of each disk file to build the chain. If the chain is broken by a missing file, the clone won't work. Follow the CloneVDI instructions on how to do this, then put the clone disk in a new VM or attach it to an existing VM to get the data out.
Mystical_Titan

Re: Unable to access snapshots.

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Thank you for the information. I will try the CloneVDI. I'd read about this, wanted to make sure that is my last resort. Thanks for your time.