Port Forwarding Issue on VM? VICIdial (Asterisk PBX) No Incoming Calls

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
docdoc

Port Forwarding Issue on VM? VICIdial (Asterisk PBX) No Incoming Calls

Post by docdoc »

Please note, I am at this forum, as I believe I'm having VM networking/port forwarding issues--not VICIdial issues.

I am on Linux Mint (host)
I am running VICIdial on the VM (guest)
I have the VM with BRIDGED network mode.
I have static IP set for the guest on the same range as the entire local network.
I can ping the IP of the guest VM from any other PC on my network
I can telnet into the IP of the guest VM from any other PC on my network (using port 80)
I can load the VICIdial website running on the guest VM--from any other PC browser--by entering the local IP address of the VICIdial server
I am able to register a softphone (Zoiper5) from another PC on the network.
I am able to make outbound calls from the Zoiper5 softphone (having set up a Twilio trunk) from the other PC on the network going through the guest VM running VICIdial.

I am UNABLE to get inbound calls, which should be coming into my network on port 5060.

I had a FreePBX setup previously (on bare metal), and I simply had to forward port 5060 on my Eero Gateway Pro router to the IP address of the FreePBX server. This same port forwarding setup is NOT working for this VirtualBox VM.

I see the IP address and MAC address of the VirtualBox VM running VICIdial in my router's list of devices.

I set the port forwarding reservation to the IP address of the VICIdial VM machine (just like I did for the FreePBX); however, nothing is getting through to the VM VICIdial server.

What am I doing wrong?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Port Forwarding Issue on VM? VICIdial (Asterisk PBX) No Incoming Calls

Post by fth0 »

I don't know VICIdial, so take the following with a grain of salt:

Does the Zoiper5 softphone register to VICIdial? If it does, then I'd assume that it already uses the SIP port 5060 for that, indictating that port forwarding VirtualBox's Bridged mode intercepting works as expected.

I'd suggest to use Wireshark on the host to capture all network traffic.
Last edited by fth0 on 24. May 2023, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'll just add in that these:
docdoc wrote:I have the VM with BRIDGED network mode.
I have static IP set for the guest on the same range as the entire local network.
I can ping the IP of the guest VM from any other PC on my network
I can telnet into the IP of the guest VM from any other PC on my network (using port 80)
I can load the VICIdial website running on the guest VM--from any other PC browser--by entering the local IP address of the VICIdial server
I am able to register a softphone (Zoiper5) from another PC on the network.
I am able to make outbound calls from the Zoiper5 softphone (having set up a Twilio trunk) from the other PC on the network going through the guest VM running VICIdial.
indicate the Virtualbox network is working, and the incoming calls setup has some configuration issue.

I'd glance over this:
docdoc wrote:I had a FreePBX setup previously (on bare metal), and I simply had to forward port 5060 on my Eero Gateway Pro router to the IP address of the FreePBX server. This same port forwarding setup is NOT working for this VirtualBox VM.
Are you sure that the port forward is correctly pointing at the VM's IP address? And that the OS inside the VM has the correct port open?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

AFAIU, port forwarding inside VirtualBox is only relevant to NAT. If you are using "bridged" then the VM is a full participant on the host physical network and the normal port forwarding mechanisms in your router are what you should be using.

A VM using "bridged" is not using the host PC networking stack at all, so how could the latter filter messages?

If you are in fact referring to the port networking feature on your router then it isn't a VirtualBox issue.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:AFAIU, port forwarding inside VirtualBox is only relevant to NAT.
You're right (NAT and NAT Network networking modes). I've corrected my previous post accordingly.

Another aspect to think about:

A static IP address in the guest OS can be used with or without a DHCP negotiation. In the case of not using DHCP to request the statically configured IP address, VirtualBox, switches and routers might learn the IP and MAC address of the VM only after the first outgoing connection, and incoming connections could fail until then.