Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.4 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kajandata

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.4 release

Post by kajandata »

fth0 wrote:For an explanation and an alternative to the checkbox, see the two posts of klaus in VM - Snapshot restore on power off (GUI/DiscardStateOnPowerOff).
Excellent! Great to know that. I will have to investigate this properly. Sounds like a great compromise.
Thank you for this valuable pointer.
PMaff

Post by PMaff »

galitsyn wrote:
granada29 wrote:[...]

Debian repository should be fixed. 7.0.4 is there now.
Is there also some fix for Suse repositories?
7.0.4-2.1 from Suse Tumbleweed does not display any of the old virtual machines that were working with 6.X
:(
Noler

TPM 1.2 does not work, but TPM 2.0 is working

Post by Noler »

When I create VM with TPM 1.2 enabled, I get error message (no matters what guest operating system I use):
The instruction at 0x00007FF987138BC7 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000015. The memory could not be read.
This error I get on three different Windows computers.
When I use TPM 2.0, all is OK.

Host operating system is Windows 10
VB 7.0.4
VB 7.0.2
VB 7.0.0
okcrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Solaris, OpenIndiana

Re: Display Problems - What Now Works

Post by okcrum »

JKelly wrote:Win 11
Still cannot use 3D Acceleration, even if turn off transparency in Windows. Display is garbled or black text on black background (e.g. Notepad)
If turn off 3d Acceleration, works reasonably well. Though Win 11 is itself unstable.
What is the host OS? This sounds like you still have the 7.0.0 or 7.0.2 WDDM driver. 7.0.4 Win11 video/3D under Linux host ran fine for me once I used Windows uninstall on the old Guest Additions and then ran Devices/Insert Guest Additions CD Image.

Funny thing is, I see white text on white background sometimes in the Start menu and Notifications on Windows 10. That's the only 3D driver artifact I've noticed other than Win7. :wink:
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Fix for Win7 Display Issues - Solved

Tried again using VB 6.1.40 Guest Additions. That works for me (AMD Host with NVIDIA video). That "solves" the Win 7 display issues with 3D Acceleration.
VB 6.1.40 display drivers now support DirectDraw and 3d Acceleration (when 3d Acceleration is turned on), per DXDIAG.EXE . The Guest Additions install easily on a Win 7 VM using VB 7.0.4 host software. The only element missing is that display drivers are not WHQL, even though they are signed.
csmccarron
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64 & 32, XP Mode

Post by csmccarron »

Found a bug in the GuestControl interface.

Original problem thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107472

Bug Report
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21230
LaurentG

Post by LaurentG »

Hi all,
I just upgraded from VBox 6.1.32 to 7.0.4, and up to now, it seems OK.

Nevertheless, two (minors, but really damageable) miss in this version :
- the Virtualbox.chm doc file is no more provided (only the .pdf). Chm is more friendly in searching something than pdf....
- when closing a VM window, we used to have an option (a check box in the close dialog) to directly go-back to the latest snapshot. With VBox 7, this option is unfortunately no more present, and to do the same (ie restore tha snapshot as it was when we entered the VM) we are obliged to either save the state, or stop the VM, then afterwards in the VM management screen, to restore the desired snapshot. At least 3 or 5 more click to get the same result, plus a useless state saving....
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

LaurentG wrote:Chm is more friendly in searching something than pdf
That depends on your PDF viewer. I have no problem searching PDF, I would have no idea how to search a chm.
LaurentG

Post by LaurentG »

mpack wrote:I would have no idea how to search a chm.
Very simply, using the "Search" tab in the tool that opens it....

The main interest being that search tool begins displaying the list of all "entries" (~chapters) where the requested string is found, among them you can choose the one that interest you, then go back to select another one.
While with pdf, you can only skip from occurrence to occurrence. And if the word you are looking for is quite "common", you may have a lot and a lot of occurrence, making quite long to reach the one that interest you (contrary to chm help file where you can directly go to a specific occurrence).
Anyway, I repeat, it's a quite minor regression.

More annoying is the second one I mention. I have several VM I always want to re-open on the same state (always loosing all what I did during a session when closing it).
With option box provided in Vbox 6, it was quite trivial. In Vbox 7, it is still feasible, but require a lot more actions... Sad...

BTW, we can notice that this option that disappeared is still mentioned in the doc (top of page 23 in pdf english manual)
As an exception, if your virtual machine has any snapshots, see chapter 1.11, Snapshots,
page 24, you can use this option to quickly restore the current snapshot of the virtual
machine. In that case, powering off the machine will discard the current state and any
changes made since the previous snapshot was taken will be lost.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Regarding the removed option and a workaround (DiscardStateOnPowerOff), read the two posts of klaus in No snapshot restore on power off any more? Why?.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

LaurentG wrote:
Exactly the same as PDF then.
LaurentG

Post by LaurentG »

mpack wrote:
LaurentG wrote:
Exactly the same as PDF then.
If you prefer do not read until end before replying, it's up to you, but I'm afraid it won't help anyone...
LaurentG

Post by LaurentG »

fth0 wrote:Regarding the removed option and a workaround (DiscardStateOnPowerOff), read the two posts of klaus in No snapshot restore on power off any more? Why?.
Hi @fth0, thank you for information.
I read it carefully.... but haven't been convinced at all !
The "workaround" proposed by @klaus is not really one, since this restore becomes what happens in 100% of the cases (while will surely lead to involuntary data loss...) and no more flexible when requested.

For some reason, the thread you show me is closed (maybe to prevent un-happy users to claim ?)
So I create a new thread in "Suggestion" to ask for restoration of this option : Please restore very soon the removed feature "Snapshot restore on power off"
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

LaurentG wrote: For some reason, the thread you show me is closed (maybe to prevent un-happy users to claim ?)
The reason is given in the last post of the thread. That topic is a discussion of a beta release that no longer exists. You could even note the forum that it's posted in.
T4nkcommander
Guest OSses: Windows 7, XP

Post by T4nkcommander »

JKelly wrote:Fix for Win7 Display Issues - Solved

Tried again using VB 6.1.40 Guest Additions. That works for me (AMD Host with NVIDIA video). That "solves" the Win 7 display issues with 3D Acceleration.
VB 6.1.40 display drivers now support DirectDraw and 3d Acceleration (when 3d Acceleration is turned on), per DXDIAG.EXE . The Guest Additions install easily on a Win 7 VM using VB 7.0.4 host software. The only element missing is that display drivers are not WHQL, even though they are signed.
Am I to understand correctly that if I install 7.0.4 but run 6.1.40 Guest Additions my Win7 VM should work with 3D acceleration? Still not sure that'd be enough to convince me to "upgrade", but it would be nice to confirm VBox 7 will actually support Windows guests at some point in time.