Add existing Linux HD to Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Daantje

Add existing Linux HD to Virtualbox

Post by Daantje »

Hi,

When I step on 'old hand' toes as a newbie, my apologies.

I just installed VirtualBox on my new Windows 11 system. The 'VirtualBox VMs' is situated on my old HD which I build in the computer. On another HD I have Ubuntu installed. I want to add this HD to my VirtualBox. As explained on "How to add new hard drive to VirtualBox" I powered down Ubuntu, right clicked the installation in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager and choose Settings, followed by Storage. When I choose 'Add new attachment' a Windows Explorer window was opened listing all HD's and partitions I have, but sadly not the Linux HD that was never visible under Windows. How do I add this invisible Linux HD?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Add existing Linux HD to Virtualbox

Post by mpack »

Topic moved to "Windows Hosts" since this is not really a "Using VirtualBox" discussion.

I'm not sure I understand your question.
The 'VirtualBox VMs" is situated in my old HD which I build in the computer.
Are you saying that you installed the old HD as a second internal drive in a new computer? And do you want to run the VMs from there or do you want to copy the VMs to your new system drive? If the former then just double click the ".vbox" file in each VM folder, this will register the VM allowing you to run it. If you want to move the VMs then see Howto: Move a VM.
On another HD I have Ubuntu installed. I want to add this HD to my VirtualBox.
Do you mean that had Ubuntu installed in a second partition on the old PC? And you want to attach this as drive to a VirtualBox VM? If yes: that would be complicated. You can't attach physical drives directly to a VM. You have to create a VMDK descriptor for it that creates a virtual equivalent of the drive. And you need to image the entire drive, so it will have both Windows and Ubuntu. I don't recommend doing this. I do recommend using Disk2VHD or similar to make a straightforward virtual drive, then delete the unwanted Windows partition. The boot code will also have to be fixed up. Not a great project for a beginner, or even an expert.