install program to a virtual machine but open it with your hardware machine, is it possible at all?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Hanan

Re: install program to a virtual machine but open it with your hardware machine, is it possible at a

Post by Hanan »

BillG wrote:
Hanan wrote:

Thank you for advice :)
I didn’t really know that the host antivirus can kill my VM
You seem a bit vague about what you think a vm is and does. VirtualBox is just another application which runs on your host. It can emulate a PC. All of that pc's devices (except the CPU) are emulated by software.

All of the files which make up the vm, including its virtual disks, are stored as files on the host PC, and malware (or aggressive antivirus software) on the host will see them as such.

Ok, so what?

Doesn’t a malware see a vm as a normal pc system while within it?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: install program to a virtual machine but open it with your hardware machine, is it possible at a

Post by BillG »

Well of course, but we were discussing how malware on the host could kill a vm.
Bill
Hanan

Post by Hanan »

BillG wrote:Well of course, but we were discussing how malware on the host could kill a vm.

Oh, then sure..

I just never thought of it before, since I always tried to not contaminate my host pc

Anyways it’s a very interesting and useful information thanks for sharing guys =)