Importing an Ova File that does not include the iso

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Chirs

Importing an Ova File that does not include the iso

Post by Chirs »

Hello please help!

I've created a VM successfully, and installed a bunch of programs and configured my new OS. everything was great.
then i wished to make a backup of my VM.

I turned off the VM, and select File from the top bar then Export Appliance and selected my VM > then Next > Export.

and i didn't change any configuration in the export menu, i saw an option "include the iso" but i didn't checkmark it.

after the exporting process completed i got an ova file. then i deleted the VM in virtualbox.

Next day i opened VirtualBox select Import Appliance from the File tap. Choose my ova file.
And again i didn't change any configuration. And just hit Import!.

After that i got the VM back, and clicked on the start to start the VM, Unfortunately i got an error says "no bootable medium found system halted".

i searched for that and found that my VM doesn't have the iso.

So i added the iso from the settings of the VM and after starting the VM it was completely NEW!!.

i have to build my OS Again.

What does that mean, why is the Ova file size Above 1 gigabytes When I'm unable to restore my OS.

Am i missing anything when i exported the VM or when i imported it?.

How do i pass the iso file to the Ova so that virtualbox can build my OS again. because if i did that mainly after the import process, the OS needs installing again with everything, Which is not what i expected After Backup the VM.

And if i should build my OS again what do i do with the OVA file, It's 1 gigabytes I'm sure it's not useless at least, I hope it can help me to restore my OS.

Now i just have the Ova file + the iso for the OS that i downloaded before.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Importing an Ova File that does not include the iso

Post by scottgus1 »

I can't comment on the missing ISO, except to check the box next time, or why the VM had no bootable OS found, yet. but:
Chirs wrote:not what i expected After Backup the VM.
Export/Import is not a backup. A true backup is shutting down the VM from within the VM OS, then file-copying the VM folder and any drive files kept outside the VM folder to backup media. A for compare can confirm the backup integrity.

Export and import change the VM files to the OVF standard, which means the files cannot be compared for an integrity check, and they won't be the same when imported. UUIDs may change, and licensing/activation may break.
Chirs wrote:after the exporting process completed i got an ova file. then i deleted the VM in virtualbox.
Not a good move yet. Let me ftfy:
Chirs wrote:after the exporting process completed i got an ova file. then I reimported the VM to confirm that the process got me a working VM,then i deleted the VM in virtualbox.