VirtualBox, USB, and Samsung Device

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Sammy Blinkin

VirtualBox, USB, and Samsung Device

Post by Sammy Blinkin »

I have VirtualBox Version 6.1.36 r152435 (Qt5.6.2) with the expansion pack installed. It launches my Ubuntu Virtual Machine perfectly as long as I do not change a particular set of settings.

So I have the ability to click on Settings -> USB. And then I can click on the Enable USB Controller and pick one:
  • OHCI for USB 1.1
  • EHCI for USB 2.0. This also enables OHCI.
  • xHCI for USB 3.0. This supports all USB speeds.
I have tried all of them and they all allow me to boot my VM. It is the USB Device Filter I use that brings me to the BSOD. I imagine there might be some devices one can add that VirtualBox would not expect. Is a SAMSUNG_Android [0C00] such a device? It is one that a lot of customers would want to have because Android devices (tablets, phones, etc) are used by Android Studio coders to test their code. If I attach this to my host computer and pick any of the three USB choices, I get the BSOD.

Now, I checked the documentation at https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserM ... ttings-usb and I think I am using this correctly.

I have Hyper-V shut off and I am currently going over the other things to check for BSOD in the forum, albeit, since I can make it so that it does not crash, I do not think this is the issue.

Is it the issue that VirtualBox can not handle a SAMSUNG Android phone? Is it the issue that I do not really need a device filter anyway? If that is the case, which USB should I pick?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox, USB, and Samsung Device

Post by scottgus1 »

There is a recent bug in USB in version 6.1.36. Try removing the device filter, and selecting the device on the fly using the USB icon in the VM window's Status Bar.
Sammy Blinkin

Re: VirtualBox, USB, and Samsung Device

Post by Sammy Blinkin »

scottgus1 wrote:There is a recent bug in USB in version 6.1.36. Try removing the device filter, and selecting the device on the fly using the USB icon in the VM window's Status Bar.
Thank you for your response. I will note it if I have a problem in the future.

It seems I got it working by doing a complete Windows Reset by reinstalling the operating system and picking to remove all the programs while keeping my data. Apparently there was some bad or left over software interfering with virtualbox.