Discuss the 6.1.32 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Discuss the 6.1.32 release

Post by mpack »

twilliams_on wrote:Are these the logs you need?
Not really. We only need one log, and that log needs to be from the VirtualBox version being discussed. So of your 5 logs in that zip only one is relevant to this topic. The top line of the log tells you which version created it. Good job remembering to zip it though.

Worryingly, I see a separately downloaded Guest Additions ISO attached to the VM. Why? The correct Guest Additions ISO is provided with the software, why are you downloading another version separately?

Increase graphics RAM to 128MB, or 256MB if it lets you. At one point I see the display jump to 2560x1322x32bpp, and I suspect 32MB is not enough VRAM for that (less than 2.5 frames) - and the lockup seems to happen very soon after this display switch. Also, if you're going to use a resolution like that you should certainly enable 3D acceleration.

Also, you have Hyper-v enabled, which will likely make everything slow and unstable.
00:00:06.361448 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:06.410969 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:06.411111 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In VirtualBox 6.1.32, a major performance regression has occurred in NEM mode (Hyper-V). After having seen it reported by several users in the VirtualBox forums and the Bugtracker, I've verified it myself:

On an up-to-date Windows 10 21H2 host, I ran a Test-VM containing a Windows 10 21H2 guest, in VirtualBox 6.1.30 and 6.1.32, both in VT-x mode and NEM mode. I selected the following two log messages as measuring points:
VBox.log file wrote:
00:00:15.743273 Display::i_handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=000000000ba80000 w=1600 h=900 bpp=32 cbLine=0x1900 flags=0x1 origin=0,0
00:00:38.129506 VMMDev: Guest Additions capability report: (0x1 -> 0x5) seamless: yes, hostWindowMapping: no, graphics: yes
The first log message is created when the Windows guest display changes to the final display resolution, with a black background, usually a few seconds before the Windows desktop is shown. The second log message is created around the time when the VirtualBox Guest Additions have been fully started (note the "graphics: yes", which distinguishes this log message from similar earlier log messages). Running the VM under the four combinations gave the following times:
6.1.30  VT-x  00:00:15.743273  00:00:38.129506
6.1.32  VT-x  00:00:15.682929  00:00:39.977196

6.1.30  NEM   00:00:28.550631  00:01:01.045319
6.1.32  NEM   00:02:28.921984  -
With the combination of VirtualBox 6.1.30 and NEM mode, the Windows guest is quite usable. Opening the Windows Start Menu or using other GUI elements is slightly delayed in comparison to VT-x mode, which is a little bit annoying, but one can get used to it.

With the combination of VirtualBox 6.1.32 and NEM mode, the Windows guest is not usable. The VM needs several minutes to reach the point of changing the display resolution. Then the guest OS often crashes before reaching the Windows desktop, with a diversity of kernel level BSODs, usually in the 5 to 10 minutes runtime range. If the Windows desktop is displayed at all, it often does not react on any input. You get the picture.

Additional technical details: In most log files, the "missing" time can be found as heartbeat errors and "Giving up catch-up" messages, in addition to the diversity of kernel level BSODs. VMs with only 1 vCPU are less affected, if at all.

I'm in the process of stripping the VM down, but it may take a few days as time permits.

The VBox.log file below shows a 10 minute run with a BSOD triggered reboot inside.
Attachments
Win10-6.1.32-NEM-fth0.log.zip
(37.68 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
oktob
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows

Post by oktob »

Actually going back to 6.1.31, works thank you.
:D
ScannerDev

Post by ScannerDev »

mpack wrote: Worryingly, I see a separately downloaded Guest Additions ISO attached to the VM. Why? The correct Guest Additions ISO is provided with the software, why are you downloading another version separately?
Slightly off-topic...but let's say I obtain the latest .deb file (from the "Downloads" area) and run the installer...where is the new Guest Additions ISO placed? It isn't in /opt/virtualbox (Linux Mint host).

Back on topic:

I upgraded to 6.1.32 a few days ago (from 6.1.19) and also installed 6.1.32 on a freshly built PC. None of my guest OSes (16, 32 or 64 bit) seem to have a problem. As I'm typing this I'm watching my Win10 Pro guest apply security updates. I'll try it with the Mint 19.3 (64 bit) VM after Windows finishes the update process but so far no issues.

ETA:

Fired up a Mint 19.3 guest w/o issues.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ScannerDev wrote:where is the new Guest Additions ISO placed?
It's with the VirtualBox executables. But I do wonder why you need to know, other than curiosity. If all you want to do is to mount it in a VM then you just choose "Insert Guest Additions CD..." from the VM Devices menu.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

In the case of Ubuntu or Linux Mint, its placed in /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.
ScannerDev

Post by ScannerDev »

mpack wrote:
It's with the VirtualBox executables. But I do wonder why you need to know, other than curiosity. If all you want to do is to mount it in a VM then you just choose "Insert Guest Additions CD..." from the VM Devices menu.
I've always been under the assumption that it had to be sourced manually and then linked as an optical drive mount to the various guests.

Which beggars a question about the following link: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.32/

One of Oracle's (legit), or does someone need a C&D letter in the mail?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

ScannerDev wrote:I've always been under the assumption that it had to be sourced manually and then linked as an optical drive mount to the various guests.
The Linux-distro-distributed forks of Virtualbox do this, not Official Virtualbox, which bundles the GAs ISO in the install and always knows where it is.
ScannerDev wrote:https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.32/

One of Oracle's (legit)
Yes, 'tis legit. That's the Virtualbox "ftp" site, so to speak, with direct download links for Virtualbox files, including the GAs ISOs separately. Under certain circumstances it may be necessary for one to load an earlier GAs ISO for a VM (such as when troubleshooting a new GAs release that might have a bug, or perhaps for XP users who have as-yet-unexplained trouble installing 6.1.32 GAs in XP).
xstreak11

Post by xstreak11 »

I can't run now any Windows guests (7/10)
I can't run now parrot os guests (different images, different settings)
worst release.
--------
UPD:
rollback to 6.1.30 (with extension pack) helped.
here is link: download . virtualbox . org/virtualbox/6.1.30/
Impala22

Post by Impala22 »

I switched to V 6.1.32 and experienced the lock up and screen issues discussed in this thread. I have rolled back to version 6.1.30 (I could not find the 6.1.31 that is referenced in the thread). I was running version 6.1.26 when this all started. I thought I was ok with 6.1.30 . But Windows 10 on the guest tried to update to version 21H2. The VM would not power down. The only way to stop the VM is to issue the power off.

Any suggestions on what others have done to get Windows 10 21H2 to work on the Host and the Guest would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried with Hyper-V on and off, I have tried with Virtualization ON and Off. I have tried with more memory and less memory for the VM. I have tried with more and less CPUs on the VM.

I have un-installed and reinstalled Virtual Box versions.

Nothing is working.
Attachments
VBox Log.zip
User log from one of the VMs
(37.86 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

fth0 wrote:In VirtualBox 6.1.32, a major performance regression has occurred in NEM mode (Hyper-V).
If you're affected by this regression, please try the VirtualBox test build 6.1.35r150972 (or newer), which includes a potential bugfix.
khelkhele

Post by khelkhele »

I have tried with Hyper-V on and off, I have tried with Virtualization ON and Off. I have tried with more memory and less memory for the VM. I have tried with more and less CPUs on the VM.
vidmate apk mobdro download
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@khelhele: you don't tell us your problem, so a description of what you tried to fix it isn't as useful as it could be.

However, it sounds like you may need to read the FAQ: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

Also note that this is the 6.1.32 discussion topic, and VirtualBox 6.1.34 was released last month.