Windows 7 program simulated to run on windows 11

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Bruno417

Windows 7 program simulated to run on windows 11

Post by Bruno417 »

Trying to find a way to run an older Windows 7 program on a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. If I install virtualbox will I be able to run my old program. The company that wrote the program was taken over by a new company and the old servers are all shut down. So no way to get an updated version that was designed to run with Windows 11. I am not super tech savvy so have a little patience please.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 7 program simulated to run on windows 11

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox will run Windows 7 in a VM. Note that since Windows 11 is new, you may have a glitch or two, but the forum gurus should be able to clear the glitches up. You will need a Windows 7 ISO and license.

The program may or may not be able to run in a 7 VM. It will depend on what the program wants to do. Many apps will run just fine. Games might have issues. 3D design apps might be OK as long as they don't require a cutting edge video card.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 7 program simulated to run on windows 11

Post by mpack »

Bruno417 wrote:If I install virtualbox will I be able to run my old (Windows 7) program.
That depends on the program. A VM is a simulation of a very generic PC. If the program is happy to run on any old Win7 PC and it doesn't need a lot of hardware resources then it should be happy in a VM.

Note that a lot of licensed software, particularly small market high price categories, specifically tests for being inside a VM. It would be rather dumb of them not to.