Ubuntu w/Win10 installing nvidia 2070 super drivers

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
skypuppy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: win7, win10 attempted

Ubuntu w/Win10 installing nvidia 2070 super drivers

Post by skypuppy »

Ubuntu w/Win10 installing nvidia 2070 super drivers fails with error 'graphics hardware board not seen' (equivalent). Is this even possible in win10 or win7? Ubuntu 20 is host, windows target. Goal is to get a VR headset working (Pimax 8KX.)
Further, first attempt was with win7, where USB ports did show up after OS loaded. Second attempt was using win10, which seemed to install fine but got the no USB seen, while USB under "settings" was grayed out!
Trying to load the nvidia drivers (native?) gave the 'graphics hardware' error.
Please, tell me there's a way to do this.
Or if you know of another method of making the VR headset visible. In Ubuntu, the USB comms work just fine but apparently the headset drivers are not loaded, even while using the manufacturers "Pitool" under Wine.
Help!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu w/Win10 installing nvidia 2070 super drivers

Post by scottgus1 »

skypuppy wrote:Ubuntu w/Win10 installing nvidia 2070 super drivers fails with error 'graphics hardware board not seen'
If this means you tried to run the Nvidia drivers inside the VM, then the result is expected.

The host video card never appears in the VM. The video card the VM OS sees is the Virtualbox card, even if you get 3D acceleration running.
skypuppy wrote:another method of making the VR headset visible.
Run a dual-boot PC with a VR-headset-supported host OS natively on the bare metal. This will probably not work in a Virtualbox VM, and definitely not if the Nvidia drivers are required.
skypuppy
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: win7, win10 attempted

Post by skypuppy »

That well and truly sucks. I call it a MAJOR shortcoming of virtualbox. That give me zero security, no fall-back under failures, and puts the host machine at risk! And it won't let me scratch the cat, either.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

'Tis a bummer, eh?
skypuppy wrote:zero security
I don't understand this one. A VR headset with proper drivers should not compromise a computer. AV should be used on any computer that is internet connected, whether real or VM.
skypuppy wrote:no fall-back under failures
This is what restorable backups are for. Even a VM needs backups.