Running snapshots on a different processor

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Sergey1970

Running snapshots on a different processor

Post by Sergey1970 »

The Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.00GHz processor was used as the HOST processor. On this processor, many snapshots of the state of the virtual machine were taken (the virtual machine used the Windows XP Service Pack 3 operating system). Then the HOST processor was replaced with an Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz. Snapshots stopped running with an error:

Code: Select all

cpum # 1: "CPU model" mismatch: host = 0x3 saved = 0x2 [ver = 17 pass = final] (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CPUID_MISMATCH).
Is it possible to somehow run snapshots on a different processor? If so, how?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Running snapshots on a different processor

Post by mpack »

That error message refers to saved states, not snapshots. Those are two different features.

Saved states are created when you suspend a VM. It makes the guest OS start faster next time, provided all of the hardware assumptions inherent in the saved state still hold true. You are supposed to fully shut down the VM when you intend to change something major. If you didn't shut the VM down and already make the major change then you have no option except to discard the saved state (right click VM, discard saved state). On next boot the virtual PC will behave as if the last session had been ended by a power cut.
Sergey1970

Post by Sergey1970 »

mpack wrote:That error message refers to saved states, not snapshots. Those are two different features.
This message also applies to snapshots. I get it when I try to run a snapshot. The status of the virtual machine itself is Off.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

SSM_xxx error messages refer to Saved States. The solution is in my previous comment.
Sergey1970

Post by Sergey1970 »

Of course, I took pictures with a running virtual machine with Windows XP loaded. I also wanted to ask: Does Virtual Box 5.22 support hibernate mode Windows XP Service Pack 3? Resumption Windows from hibernate mode I did not succeed (an error occurred).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I have no idea if VirtualBox supports the hibernate mode implemented by the guest OS. I don't see why not (VirtualBox doesn't care much about guest OS features), but in any case it doesn't often arise since people would just use the suspend feature of VirtualBox.

It's possible that the guest hibernate mode may rely on the IO-APIC, hence the function may depend on whether XP was installed with IO-APIC support or not. In any case the discussion is rather academic as mentioned.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Interesting thought! I had never even tried to hibernate a vm. Out of curiosity I just tried it on an XP vm. I ran exactly as expected (and restored without any problem when restarted).
Bill