Vanishing CD/DVD Drive

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MaydayMalone

Vanishing CD/DVD Drive

Post by MaydayMalone »

I have a dual-boot system. My primary OS is Linux Mint 17.3, which I installed after much frustration with Windows 10. I do have a couple of intensive programs which I need to run using Windows 10. In order to eliminate the time spent switching from Linux to Windows then back to Linux with other Windows-only programs I use, I installed Virtualbox, Guest Additions, and Extension Pack versions 5.2.18, with Windows 7 as the guest OS.

Everything works great ... except for one thing. The CD/DVD drive keeps vanishing. When it goes missing, I have to close VM (saving the machine state), discard the saved state, go into settings/storage, select the CD/DVD drive, confirm that the drive is recognized (not greyed out) and that passthrough is checked, and click on OK. Then, when I launch the Windows 7 guest OS, the CD/DVD drive will be available ... for a while. But pretty soon it will vanish once again.

I searched online, but couldn't find any reports of this particular feature. Ideas anyone?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Vanishing CD/DVD Drive

Post by mpack »

A virtual CD drive can't vanish unless the .vbox settings file can't be saved for some reason.

"Some reasons" that spring to mind:
  • The vmname.vbox file is marked read only.
  • You have no write permission in the VM folder.
  • You have a snapshot state which you keep reverting to (you would be doing this manually, it can't happen by itself).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MaydayMalone wrote:I have to close VM (saving the machine state), discard the saved state
That would in a sense revert you to the previous state.

Don't use saved states and discarding them. Shut down the VM from within the VM OS.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MaydayMalone

Post by MaydayMalone »

Thanks for the suggestions. I shut down the OS from inside VM, and launched a fresh start. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. I may not know for sure right away, but I will post an update, once I'm comfortable that everything is/is not working smoothly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DzonLejn
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by DzonLejn »

I had the same issue with MacOS but rebooted VM and Mac and everything works fine since then.