Can someone tell me why VirtualBox update can't update itself?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
dhinge

Can someone tell me why VirtualBox update can't update itself?

Post by dhinge »

Practically every other app I use, when it prompts that there's an update, just lets me click a button to update itself... why does VirtualBox still require me to download a file and reinstall the whole application like it's new? This is rather archaic.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can someone tell me why VirtualBox update can't update itself?

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Suggestions" from "Using VirtualBox".

Personally, even if it did offer that option, I'd take it off. I never like things being done on my computer without my explicit permission/intervention. Just see the amount of trouble that this tactic has caused in Win10 owners, when it simply decides to update, *and* reboot in the middle of whenever it feels like it...

Plus, this is not your Firefox or your Notepad++. VirtualBox installs device drivers at the lowest possible level. Not only you need administrator access, sometimes you need the extra "Run As Administrator", even if you are the administrator.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dhinge

Post by dhinge »

Most apps I use that have an auto-update feature prompt me to update or install an auto-downloaded update... so let's not confuse things here.

All I'm asking is that it prompts me to update when there's one available, and if I do, just update the app.

Having to click a link to download then run it myself on top of everything (including possibly-running VBox virtual machines) is a bit outdated these days, don't you think?
Last edited by socratis on 26. Nov 2018, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

dhinge wrote:All I'm asking is that it prompts me to update when there's one available, and if I do, just update the app.
That's already there. Can you check your settings? VirtualBox Preferences » Update. Do you have the "Check for Updates" enabled? Also make sure that the rest of the settings are set correctly.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.