Discuss the 5.2.16 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: Discuss the 5.2.16 release

Post by michael »

The oldest Debian we support is Wheezy. Wheezy and Jessie both support libcurl3 only. For some reason we were previously using the gnutls version before, which seems to be compatible with libcurl4. I reinstalled the normal (openssl) version which does not seem to be. I do not see a need to change this though just so that people can use a package from Debian Stretch instead of a package from Ubuntu 18.04 - which works, and is based off Buster/Sid - on a version of Debian we do not support anyway. I think that by our next release people will have got used to the idea and will be getting on with their lives again.
0xDEADBEEF

Post by 0xDEADBEEF »

michael wrote:The oldest Debian we support is Wheezy.
You're right. The Lenny branch repo is stuck at 4.1.44-104071, my bad. As for the Ubuntu version, I'll give it a try. It would be a good idea to tell people on the downloads frontpage to do so as well, at least for Buster users, don't you agree? A short note about that wouldn't hurt.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

0xDEADBEEF wrote:As for the Ubuntu version, I'll give it a try. It would be a good idea to tell people on the downloads frontpage to do so as well, at least for Buster users, don't you agree? A short note about that wouldn't hurt.
Do you mean more than what I did last week[1]?

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

the version packages by debian works fine, the ubuntu version packaged by oracle doesn't on my sid (buster) install.
0xDEADBEEF

Post by 0xDEADBEEF »

Derbian Buster/Sid users should consider to just uninstall VirtualBox and remove the Oracle Virtualbox repo from apt lists, since latest VirtualBox is available in the Debian repos again:

https://packages.debian.org/buster/virtualbox

That's a much easier and IMHO safer way to use and update VirtualBox...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

... provided that you understand that switching to a fork will end your participation on this site.