drop when creating snapshot (#17550)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
GetA

Re: drop when creating snapshot

Post by GetA »

Apparently another bug ...
I did snapshots ... And then I performed the shutdown while maintaining the state ...

I launch the virtual machine on another machine. It gives an error that the power was allegedly dropped.

OK!
I reset the state. Now I can not run the virtual at all:
Could not open the medium 'F: \ Windows 8.1 for developer \ Snapshots / {b3052c7c-7754-4d79-aff6-51ac810d4020} .vdi'.
VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file 'F: \ Windows 8.1 for developer \ Snapshots / {b3052c7c-7754-4d79-aff6-51ac810d4020} .vdi' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
I love virtualbox :)
1.png
1.png (11.94 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Attachments
2.png
2.png (11.33 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Last edited by GetA on 21. Feb 2018, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What it says. File not found. You don't get that by removing a snapshot in any documented way, ie. by using the VirtualBox software.

Your folder arrangement is peculiar, e.g. the reference to drive F: (instead of C:\<user-docs>\VirtualBox VMs), and paths and filenames with spaces in unusual places (e.g. at the beginning and end). You haven't been manually editing .vbox files have you? "I don't believe that "F: \" i.e. F:<space><slash> is even legal, which would explain "file not found".
GetA

Post by GetA »

@mpack

I do not do anything manually, the virtual machine is very important for my work ... Only through the virtualbox

I did not touch anything at all. Everything initially worked (on one real machine).
I transferred it on the drive to another machine, tried to start it. It does not start.
Writes that the power was dropped.

Well, I use discard. Everything, the machine does not start.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

GetA wrote:I launch the virtual machine on another machine.
How did you copy the VM to the other host? Something tells me that you didn't follow the FAQ "Moving a VM" correctly.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GetA

Post by GetA »

socratis wrote: "Moving a VM"
The basic procedure for moving VMs created by VirtualBox v4.0.0 or later is to copy the VM folder (with contents) to your preferred location, then use the GUI's Machine|Add menu item to register the .vbox file (found in the VM folder) from its new locatio
And I do
GetA

Re: drop when creating snapshot (#17550)

Post by GetA »

vmware worksatation 14.1 - snapshots work correctly. But the performance under Linux is complete shit.
Checked snapshots of Virtualbox 5.26 on Windows 8.1, Linux kernel 4.4 - the problem is the same. Snapshots do not work correctly. The machine will be turned off, some random bugs.
When saving the state, the machine can simply shut down and not save itself .sav

I understand that it's still worth recording a video demonstration
GetA

Post by GetA »

How have you f%cked bugs with snapshots...
What a pity that there is no alternative. I would gladly change the virtualbox

I just took it from one place and moved it to another drive. All f%cked up. Nothing works.

I tested everywhere, on different machines, under different conditions. The problem is one.

Snapshots or work, or f%%ked up - it's like roulette
Attachments
photofacefun_com_1520435136.jpg
photofacefun_com_1520435136.jpg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
photofacefun_com_1520435307.jpg
photofacefun_com_1520435307.jpg (66.97 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Congratulations. You just earned yourself a 1 week cooling-off ban.
Your swearing post has been moved to the Quarantine and Deletions area. No need to keep your exploding remarks public, they add nothing of value. Same reason that this thread is now Locked.

I would suggest to take advantage of this read-only time to search and learn how Snapshots work. There's a draft on the basics of the snapshot feature. Take a look at it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.