XP won't install from CD

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
JimmyInTN

XP won't install from CD

Post by JimmyInTN »

I create the virtual drive, I set the optical drive to my actual dvd drive. I start up the virtual machine and it finds the disc, installs the drivers from the disc, but when I hit enter to install XP, it says it can't find a bootable disc. Why can it find the disc to load the drivers, but when it comes to actually installing XP, it says it can't find it. I made an ISO of my XP Home Edition disc and tried using it and it just says no bootable media found. I've watched and read every tutorial and can't find what I'm doing wrong.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: XP won't install from CD

Post by socratis »

JimmyInTN wrote:I create the virtual drive
You mean the Virtual Machine?
JimmyInTN wrote:installs the drivers from the disc
What drivers are being installed? There shouldn't be any drivers being installed if it's a bootable disk. It should simply start the installation of the OS.
JimmyInTN wrote:but when I hit enter to install XP, it says it can't find a bootable disc
If it says so, you better believe it. And "hit enter to install XP"? What does that even mean? Can you elaborate? See above as well...
JimmyInTN wrote:I made an ISO of my XP Home Edition disc and tried using it and it just says no bootable media found.
If it says so, you better believe it. How did you create the ISO? Did you simply copy the files that were on the CD? Because if you did, don't expect that copying the files will create a bootable ISO. You need to "duplicate" your existing installation CD to an ISO.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.