Discuss the 5.2.6 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 5.2.6 release

Post by michael »

Discuss the 5.2.6 release here.
You can download the release here.
Mainly a regression-fix release for 5.2.4.
TeutonJon78
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: Discuss the 5.2.6 release

Post by TeutonJon78 »

I tried to update from 5.2.4 to 5.2.6 on W10 64-bit and it removed all of the start menu entires. The program is still there and can run, but you can have to launch it directly or from an associated file.

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it -- same issue. I tried uninstalling and rebooted, then installed -- same issue. Anyone else seeing this?

Edit: Nevermind...I my zeal to not have it put links all over the place, I think I just unchecked the start menu entries as well. Sorry.
Last edited by TeutonJon78 on 17. Jan 2018, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

Please provide an installer log according to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/MSI_Logging

Thanks!
SamH

Post by SamH »

I upgraded VirtualBox on my Ubuntu 16.04 host and started my Ubuntu 16.04 guest, installed guest additions, powered off the guest and now it my Ubuntu guest does not start any more... What to do here?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

"Does not start" is a bit vague. There are several reports that users get to a black screen and can't login which can be worked around by disabling 3D acceleration.

If it is more than that then log files help!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
SamH

Post by SamH »

Switching off 3D acceleration does not solve the problem.

I have opened a ticket and attached log. https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17467
SamH

Post by SamH »

I see the ticket was closed. Let me add a piece of information: 3D acceleration is turned off and it still does not work.

How can I downgrade guest additions without being able to start guest? Thanks.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Hard to say without knowing more about what "not being able to start" means. I re-opened the ticket, let's continue there.
agilis

Post by agilis »

Cent OS 7 no longer booting because of 3D Acceleration being enabled was fixed after installing the updated VirtualBox Additions that can be found here:
[Mod edit; removed GAs ISO link]
Please do not post to specific test builds, they *will* become obsolete in 2-3 weeks, they expire. Always link to the Downloads page.
Last edited by agilis on 17. Jan 2018, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you are having an issue with any Linux guest with the 3D acceleration on, a fix has been released. Look at the "Important" part about the GAs in the download page: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

PS: Any message that deals with that issue, and has not tried the fix, will be deleted, no questions asked.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ww9rivers

Post by ww9rivers »

Just want to report that the GA-5.2.7 does not fix the problem for me.

I am running Mint 18.2 on a Windows 10 build 15063.850. With 3D acceleration turned on, the guest would start. But everything runs very slowly -- It almost feels like every keystroke or mouse click is delayed for 5 seconds.

I had the same issue with the 5.2.2 release which was subsequently fixed in 5.2.4. Now it has returned in 5.2.6.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

ww9rivers wrote:Just want to report that the GA-5.2.7 does not fix the problem for me.

I am running Mint 18.2 on a Windows 10 build 15063.850. With 3D acceleration turned on, the guest would start. But everything runs very slowly -- It almost feels like every keystroke or mouse click is delayed for 5 seconds.

I had the same issue with the 5.2.2 release which was subsequently fixed in 5.2.4. Now it has returned in 5.2.6.
It would be helpful if you try out different combinations of VirtualBox versions and Guest Additions, e.g. VirtualBox 5.2.4 with 5.2.6 Additions, to find out exactly where the problem is. The more information you can provide about when the problem does and doesn't occur, the more likely someone will take a look at it.
RonSMeyer1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Host: Linux Mint / Guests: Windows 10 - Win XP - OS/2 Warp 4 - MS-DOS

Post by RonSMeyer1 »

I am happy to report that with the 5.2.7 additions my Linux Mint VM looks totally beautiful. Thank you much!
ww9rivers

Post by ww9rivers »

michael wrote: It would be helpful if you try out different combinations of VirtualBox versions and Guest Additions, e.g. VirtualBox 5.2.4 with 5.2.6 Additions, to find out exactly where the problem is. The more information you can provide about when the problem does and doesn't occur, the more likely someone will take a look at it.
Just did install GA 5.2.4 on VirtualBox 5.2.6 -- still having the exact same issue. I'm going to downgrade VirtualBox to 5.2.4 for now. May try that with newer GA packages later if I can find time to do that.

Thank you!
Selin

Post by Selin »

Not sure if my issue is related to 5.2.6, but I've met it with this version on a new testing server.
Host:
- Intel Xeon 2687W v4
- 256GB RAM
- FreeBSD 11.1
- VirtualBox 5.2.6
Guest:
- 12 cores
- 128GB RAM
- EFI option is on
- Windows Server 2016
Problem:
Guest sees only ~3,5GB of RAM
Without EFI whole 128GB are available for guest.

Brief googling doesn't help :(
Maybe somebody have met with such issue and can help me to fix it?