Port-forwarding a range

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
alexlake

Port-forwarding a range

Post by alexlake »

Is it possible to get VirtualBox to forward a range of ports? Or is it just one port at a time?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Port-forwarding a range

Post by mpack »

You can forward more than one port. Are you asking if there is a command syntax that allows to specify a range of ports in a single command? I don't see such a command in the user manual.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

One port at a time as far as I know...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
alexlake

Post by alexlake »

Yes - there are some scripts I've found that loop over a range, calling the command, which I guess is OK.
alexlake

Post by alexlake »

...and while on this topic, why can't ICMP be forwarded? Routers seem to manage to do this without any problem?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

This is a user to user forum. Not much point in asking other users to explain development decisions.
alexlake

Post by alexlake »

Yeah, on other places some (users) have said that ICMP can't be forwarded. Maybe I should go and ask in those places!
Thanks anyway.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

alexlake wrote:Yeah, on other places some (users) have said that ICMP can't be forwarded. Maybe I should go and ask in those places!
That's a different question. In your last post you asked for a development decision to be explained. We can't do that because we're users, not developers. But if all you want is uninformed user speculation then yes, we can do that too, or "other places" may indeed be able to excel in that department.