Help me to choose a guest OS

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kaenrion

Help me to choose a guest OS

Post by kaenrion »

Hi,My host OS is windows10,and it`s running on solid-state driver,the vdi files are also stored on SSD .I use virtualbox to run some program in guests.These programs can run well in WindowsXP,Win7,Win10.
My question is which guest OS should I choose?Win7,Win10 is too heavy,they need more memory and large VDI file,but they support SSD better then XP.Aa I know WindowsXP does not support trim command which is solid-state driver,but XP is more thin than win7 and win10.

Please help me! I Thank you!
kaenrion

Re: Help me to choose a guest OS

Post by kaenrion »

In user manual,I found opetion 'nonrotational' and 'discard',does these two options has an impact on my choice.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Are you assuming that the guest OS has to support SSDs if the VM is located on an SSD?

In fact it generally doesn't matter. VirtualBox is a host application like any other. I doubt that many other of your host apps care whether the system drive is an SSD, and VirtualBox is really no exception.

If you enable the "nonrotational" flag in the VM settings then yes, an "SSD aware" guest OS will pick this up and it may affect its behaviour: e.g. it won't bother doing disk defrag (but I recall correctly, that defaults to off in new XP installs anyway). Another thing a guest OS might do is issue a "trim" command every now and then, but if disk space use is bothering you then you can perform a compact operation yourself whenever you feel you need to.

Note that the "nonrotational" flag is independant of whether your host has an SSD. It's just another virtual machine recipe setting, and like all of them, it has nothing much to do with your physical hardware.
kaenrion

Post by kaenrion »

Thank you,That's the answer I want.