Strange issue with cloning a vdmk to vdi

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
joesan

Strange issue with cloning a vdmk to vdi

Post by joesan »

Hi All -

I have a user that is running a 25 gb VDMK file for windows 7. He needs to extend the volume. So I went and cloned the vmdk to a vdi to extend the volume through vbox manage. The vm size extended properly and its is running.

Strange thing is now 2 applications no longer exist on the cloned hard disk.

I am assuming that this may be picking up an old snapshot or something????

Anyone have any ideas of how an application could be be missing from a clone?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Strange issue with cloning a vdmk to vdi

Post by Perryg »

I really depends on how you clone. Using the GUI you need to make sure it includes everything and from the command line you need to clone the current state.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yep. Classic symptoms that the VM uses snapshots, and you cloned the oldest state instead of the newest. The clone will be lacking everything done to the VM since the first snapshot was created, and if the cloned VDI was manually inserted back into the original VM (the one that is expecting to find snapshots), then that VM is essentially toast. Hopefully you did create a new VM around the clone and simply failed to mention it.

p.s. The cloning function doesn't pick up an old snapshot "or something", it clones exactly the file you tell it to clone. There is no automatic selection of the latest state, since there is no requirement that you can only clone the latest state. If you cloned the base VMDK then that means you cloned the oldest state, i.e. the file that existed before any of the snapshots.
joesan

Post by joesan »

Thanks!

I did create a new VM for the cloned machine.

Now - How exactly do I clone from the latest snapshot?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

joesan wrote:Now - How exactly do I clone from the latest snapshot?
I believe that Perryg's last post has the answer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Probably the easiest way is to right click the "Current State" in your Snapshots panel and select the "Clone" option from the resulting menu. Choose expert mode, this will allow you to choose "Current state only" for the clone VM. This gives you a stand alone VM (no snapshots). From there it's a simple matter to convert to VDI (that's if the snapshot cloning function doesn't already do this: I never use snapshots nor do I use VMDKs, so I'm not sure of these details).
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

There are two options as shown in the graphics below. If you choose to clone everything then you will have a duplicate clone including all snapshots. If you choose current state you have a clone that includes everything but without snapshots, as this merges all snapshots into one file. Better IMHO since this removes the house of cards snapshots that can result in a corrupt guest.
clone_window.png
clone_window.png (56.54 KiB) Viewed 1856 times