Shared folders not working on guest XP SP3

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
arnold

Shared folders not working on guest XP SP3

Post by arnold »

Hello All,

I am having trouble getting SHARED FOLDERS working on my WIN XP with SP3 guest machine. Host is UBUNTU 8.04. Running SUN virtualbox xVM 1.6.2. Tried different versions of Guest Additions, no resolve. Tried fiddling with the Workgroup name as well.
I am trying to share my /home/arnold/mp3 directory with mp3 share name. Windows Explore has the Virtualbox Shared folders, but when I click on it, it's empty.

Any ideas?[/img]
DaNmarner

Post by DaNmarner »

I have the same problem!
phantom21

Mine is problem with shared folder and winxp pro sp2

Post by phantom21 »

I tried to get virtualbox 1.6.2 to do a shared folder on a winxp pro sp2 guest on opensuse 10.2, to no result. I tried sharing both with the windows explorer browser (it wouldn't show anyting under the virtual folders icon) and at the command line with net use n: \\vboxsvr\sharename.

But, the shared folder icon at the bottom of the vbox shell shows the shared folder, its sharename, and its path.

Mark
icex

Post by icex »

did you check your windows firewall settings to allow file sharing?
phantom21

Firewall turned off

Post by phantom21 »

I turned off the firewall to make sure it wasn't getting in the way.

Mark
SamFisher47

Post by SamFisher47 »

hey guys, i have the same problem, but i have an idea what the issue is. what is the filesystem of the folder you are trying to share?

i know for a fact that when i share a folder from my ntfs drive, it works, but when sharing ext3, it doesn't.

what do you think?

Regards,
SamFisher47
oceallaighm

Post by oceallaighm »

Hi,

I have Sun's VirtualBox 1.6.2 installed on Ubuntu 8.04, I am running XP SP3 as a guest OS. I have created a folder called shared in my home folder in Ubuntu. I then shared out this folder using the file manager in Gnome effectively creating a samba share. This shared folder can be seen by the guest OS XP SP3 and by another physical pc and it's guest OS over the network.

This may not be the way that it is meant to be done for VirtualBox and I know that the share only exists on the Ubuntu host, but it does work.

Hope that this is of help.
Marco1

Post by Marco1 »

SamFisher47 wrote:hey guys, i have the same problem, but i have an idea what the issue is. what is the filesystem of the folder you are trying to share?

i know for a fact that when i share a folder from my ntfs drive, it works, but when sharing ext3, it doesn't.

what do you think?
Sorry to tell that I can't confirm this.

I became curious because I "lost" shared folder support when switching the machine from my laptop to my new PC. The only difference was the hardware - and that my data now is located on an ext3 partition rather than on an ntfs partition on the laptop!

However, I tried to share a folder on a ntfs partition now and it still does not work. All ext3 shared folders had been removed before and I did restart machine. No success.

Before I tried virtualbox 1.54, 1.56, 1.60... no success while the same macine shares folders well on the laptop...

System is opensuse 10.3, Kernel 2.6.22.18-190-bigsmp, running KDE 3.5.7
Guest: Win XP Prof. SP3

Greetz Marco
stewert

I have solve it ...

Post by stewert »

Hi all,

I had the same problem (Host: openSuse 10.3; guest: WinXP with already installed guest additions):

I had configure a shared folder, start the WinXP on the VirtualBox and in the "VirtualBox Shared Folders" I had seen nothing ... :shock:

Then I have installed the guest additions a second time (without deinstalling this stuff) and after a reboot of the WinXP: IT WORKS! :D

I hope hat will also help for your problems (because I have installed and running a second VirtualBox with the same configurations and there the shared folders was displayed without problems and without a second installation of the guest additions).

Regards

PS.: My shared folders are also in ext3 format. It works definitively with ext3 shared folders!
MaNiCaL

Post by MaNiCaL »

Tried Stewrt's suggestion to reinstall guest addition a second time and it worked. Guest is WinXP SP3 and share is on ext3.

Thanks.
Marco1

Post by Marco1 »

Tried as well and it did NOT work...
NickLeverton

Post by NickLeverton »

Probably stating the obvious, but I've found that shared folders don't show up in a guest until you reboot it.
JohnnieG

Sharing files between Linux and XP on VM

Post by JohnnieG »

When you start up your XP VM, click on the "Devices" link in the menu bar. Install "Guest Additions".

Once installed, go back to "Devices" and click on "Shared Folders". This will open a dialog window through which you identify your shared files folder.

Now you will be able to share files between your Linux host and the XP guest.

Let me know how it works out.

I'm running PCLOS2007 with XP on a dual boot and have now installed XP in Virtual Box on a second internal IDE Hard Drive.
abelletti

Post by abelletti »

I first installed 1.6.2 about a week ago and sharing between my Fedora 9 x86_64 host and the XP SP3 guest worked perfectly.

Then I had to install a fresh copy yesterday after making some changes to my system. Sharing no longer worked on the fresh copy. Tried reinstalling guest additions multiple times, no luck.

Came across another thread in this forum which mentioned that the 1.6.0 release of Guest Additions works, whereas the 1.6.2 does not appear to. Replaced the new Guest Additions with the old and it solved my problem.

The funny thing is, I really thought I had it working with the 1.6.2 guest additions the first time... ah well, I'm sure that this will be fixed.

Edit: Oh, I was able to download the older GA from: http://www.virtualbox.de/download/

Allen
jclu52

Post by jclu52 »

abelletti wrote:...
Came across another thread in this forum which mentioned that the 1.6.0 release of Guest Additions works, whereas the 1.6.2 does not appear to. Replaced the new Guest Additions with the old and it solved my problem.
Edit: Oh, I was able to download the older GA from: http://www.virtualbox.de/download/

Allen
Thanks for the tip. My host is Vista 32. VBox 1.62 installed fine. I actually like it better than VPC 2007. Trying to use the share folder feature on different guest, but can't. Found your post and installed the 1.6.0 guest addition and it worked like a charm.

Appreciate you sharing the great tips. :D

Jeff