Corrupt Mac Binary

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
cecomp64

Corrupt Mac Binary

Post by cecomp64 »

Hi,

I tried downloading the mac binary of virtual box (which is .bz2 extension even though it's a compression of a .dmg file, which can be compressed in and of itself...), but when I went to open it, the extraction utility created a .cpgz file. Trying to extract this subsequent file gave me back another .bz2 file. I tried to use StuffIt Expander to unzip both the original .bz2 file and the resulting .cpgz file, but it created an unmountable dmg file (the error was something like unable to find a filesystem).

Any ideas, or perhaps a reposting of this binary would be appreciated.

- Carl
ForrestB

Post by ForrestB »

No problems downloading the Mac binary here. It's a .dmg which is mounted with the built-in OSX disk image mounter. The program is installed by double-clicking on VirtualBox.mpkg

If Stuffit Expander is trying to mount the image - that's wrong. Right click on the .dmg file and select Open With Disk Image mounter
rharder

Post by rharder »

I too get a corrupted file (11 May 08 now). The .bz file (unnecessary) either

a) opens to a .cpgz file (whatever that is) when I double click it in the Finder or

b) when bunzipped from the command line, I get a premature end of file error, or something, and the .dmg file does not mount.

Using 10.5.2.

-Rob
rharder

Post by rharder »

When I downloaded the Mac os X version with wget from the command line, that finally worked.
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

All who have problems decompressing the DMG-File most likely have downloaded it using Safari.

Using "file" to verify of what file type the DMG is, we get the following output:

$ file VirtualBox-1.6.0-OSX_x86.dmg
VirtualBox-1.6.0-OSX_x86.dmg: bzip2 compressed data, block size = 100k

I think Safari is therefore interpreting it as a bz2-file. Just removing the filename extension ".bz2" after downloading should fix the problem.

Using Firefox, I didn't encounter any problems.

Nevertheless, something has gone awry when the DMG has been built, because it shouldn't be identified as a bz2-file.