Copying files to shared folder seems to create massive files

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
justinjhayes

Copying files to shared folder seems to create massive files

Post by justinjhayes »

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Home as my host, with an NTFS file system. I have shared a single folder.

My guest is Debian with Linux 2.6.

Installation of the guest additions seemed to run without any problems and I have successfully mounted my shared folder.

The problem I encountered was when using the guest to copy files into the mounted share. When doing so, they appear to be a few orders of magnitude larger than they should be, regardless of whether they are viewed from the guest or the host. For example, copying a single JPG file of a few hundred kilobytes, resulted in a file on the host file system of about 3.3 gigabytes!

No actual errors occured, in that both the guest and host ran normally. The guest was able to open the file and it was visible as a 3.3 gigabyte file to both the host and guest.

Presumably something isn't quite right here. The kernel is an out-of-the-box Debain 2.4.18-6-686 kernel and this was compiled with gcc 4.1.2. Note that the same version of gcc was installed to allow the installation of the guest additions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin
pigmin

Post by pigmin »

Hi.

Same problem here since I upgraded from 1.5.4 to 1.5.6

I run VirtualBox under WindowsVista32bits. My virtual machine is a Redhat9.

I didn"t recompile Vguest additions with the new VirtualBox1.5.6. It seems when i read previous message that it didn"t come from VguestAdditions (i suppose justinhayes installed 1.5.6 and he says that he compile/install vguest).

I go back to 1.5.4 temporary. Let me know if i can help with some testing here.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

The interesting thing would be if that only happens with Windows (Vista) hosts or with Linux hosts as well. Any chance to test this?
electricchild

Post by electricchild »

Hi everyone. Sorry to bump an old thread but I am having this problem as well. Does anyone know what I can do that doesn't involve reverting back to an old version?

I desperately need to get a file off my linux OS and get it on my Windows host. Anyone have any ideas?
electricchild

Post by electricchild »

Hey guys,

Just letting you know that I tried going to 1.5.4 and then going to 1.6.0, and the shared folder problem still didn't go away.

Do you think it's a Debian specific problem? Anyone else experiencing it? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
cvig

Post by cvig »

Not having this problem with VirtualBox 1.6.0 on a Windows XP Pro host with a guest install of Arch Linux.
electricchild

Post by electricchild »

It appears to me that the only way I can solve this problem is by using a new distribution such as Arch. :/
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Did you try 1.6.2? It includes important fixes to shared folders. Don't forget to update the guest additions as well.