Accessing raw partitions with VMDK (VirtualBox 1.4)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kilou

Accessing raw partitions with VMDK (VirtualBox 1.4)

Post by kilou »

Hi,

I'm trying to access my XP partition with VirtualBox 1.4. The XP partition is on /dev/sda2 and I'd like to access /dev/sda6 as well (documents). I've looked in the manual and it seems that the command I need to issue to create the appropriate VMDK file is:

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /home/user/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2,6 -relative -register

When I do this I get:
Error opening the raw disk: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED

If I add "sudo" in front of the command then it works and the VMDK file is created in /home/user/.VirtualBox/ However when I launch VirtualBox I get a message that tells me this virtual disk is not currently accessible. If I look in virtual disk manager I can see WinXP.vmdk but it has a yellow tag on it.

/dev/sda2 is the partition where XP is installed
/dev/sda6 contains /home (it is also where the vmdk file is stored and this is the partition that I'd like to make accessible to both host and guest)

I also try to remove the /dev/sda6 from the command:

sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /home/user/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2 -relative -register

but I still get the same results...

Is this because I created the VMDK as root (sudo)??

Any idea?
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

You have to change the permissions on /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda6 so that the VirtualBox user can read and write to it.

When creating the VMDK as root, make sure to change owner/permissions so that VirtualBox can access it. Note that creating the VMDK also needs read access to /dev/sda (for the boot sector) so doing this as root is the best solution.
zyzgak

Post by zyzgak »

I have similar problem. I'm trying to access my linux partition under XP:

Code: Select all

D:\xxx\pc\VirtualBox>VBoxManage internalcommands listpartitions -rawdisk \\.\Phys
icalDrive1
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.4.0
(C) 2005-2007 innotek GmbH
All rights reserved.

Number  Type   StartCHS       EndCHS      Size (MiB)  Start (Sect)
1       0x83  0   /1  /1   1023/254/63         16386           63
5       0x07  1023/1  /1   1023/254/63        131006     33559848
6       0x07  1023/1  /1   1023/254/63        131077    301861413

D:\xxx\pc\VirtualBox>VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename d:\test1
.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1 -partitions 1
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.4.0
(C) 2005-2007 innotek GmbH
All rights reserved.

ERROR: VMDK: could not create new partition data file 'd:\test1-pt.vmdk'
Error code VERR_SHARING_VIOLATION at E:\vbox\w32-rel\src\VBox\Devices\Storage\Vmd
kHDDCore.cpp(2228) in function vmdkCreateImage
Error while creating the raw disk VMDK: VERR_SHARING_VIOLATION
Could somebody point my error? Or, if i have get privileges to access to that partition, how can i achieve this under XP?
kilou

Post by kilou »

Achimha, how do you change the permissions on /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda6?

My fstab file looks like:

/dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 0 2

/dev/sda2 /windows ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

You should not mount those partitions on your host. There must not by any concurrent access.

Use chmod on /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda6 to adjust the permissions.
kilou

Post by kilou »

chmod seems to be for files and folders only, not for entire partition. And since /dev/sda2 (where windows is installed) is a Ntfs partition, I guess linux can't change the permission since Ntfs is read-only on linux (except if a specific driver is installed).

All I could find to change the permission is to modify fstab entry for /dev/sda2 and add "uid=1000"......but this means that the xp partition would need to be mounted in linux (this would be required to run chmod as well) :?

I'm a bit confused on how to do that.
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

There is difference between permissions for file system of partition and permissions for partitions itself.
Chmod may also work with whole sda
kilou

Post by kilou »

Can you post an example of the chmod command to issue to set full access permission to /dev/sda2? Does this work also if /dev/sda2 is NTFS?

All the exmplaes I see are for chmod on a mounted filesystem.....and apparently the partition that VirtualBox accesses shouldn't be mounted.
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

First make sure /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda6 are not mounted. Then issue as root:

Code: Select all

chmod 777 /dev/sda2
chmod 777 /dev/sda6
Of course 777 is not the best solution but it will show you the direction.
kilou

Post by kilou »

Thanks achimha but I still have the same problem. I did:

1) unmount /dev/sda2
2) sudo chmod 777 /dev/sda2
3) sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2 -relative -register

...and virtualdisk manager still warns that the registred virtual hardisk is not accessible.
nuudles

Post by nuudles »

kilou wrote:Thanks achimha but I still have the same problem. I did:

1) unmount /dev/sda2
3) sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2 -relative -register

...and virtualdisk manager still warns that the registred virtual hardisk is not accessible.
Try this:

1) sudo su
2) umount /dev/sda2
3) chmod 666 /dev/sda*
4) VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2 -relative -register
5) chown kilou:users /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk
6) exit
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

you have to sudo chown kilou /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk as well
PFilter

Post by PFilter »

kilou wrote:Thanks achimha but I still have the same problem. I did:

1) unmount /dev/sda2

Each time you recreate the vmdk you will need to re-register it. VBox keeps a hash(MD5?) of somekind and if the file is replaced, even if the name is the same, you have to delete it from the Virtual Disk Manager and add it again.
kilou

Post by kilou »

Still no luck on my side :( I did:

1) sudo su
2) umount /dev/sda2
3) chmod 666 /dev/sda2 (also tried with 777)
4) VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2 -relative -register
5) chown kilou:users /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk

Now I don't get any message when starting VirtualBox but when I launch virtual disk manager it is empty (the created vmdk disk is not registred?). I tried to click "Add" and then there are 2 vmdk files: WinXP.vmdk and WinXP-pt.vmdk. Selecting either of those files makes a popup message appear saying:

##############################################
Failed to register the hardisk /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk

Could not access hard disk image /home/kilou/.VirtualBox/WinXP.vmdk
(VERR_VDI_INVALID_SIGNATURE)

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
HardDisk
Interface:
IHardDisk {fd443ec1-000f-4f5b-9282-d72760a66916}
Callee:
IVirtualBox {d1a2295c-d257-4a4c-a9a6-843d87db6f45}
###############################################

I tried to do the same but creating a vmdk file with another name but I still can't access it.
:?
nuudles

Post by nuudles »

Like I said, you should try this:

chmod 666 /dev/sda*

I think your problem is the permissions on /dev/sda and not /dev/sda2