Developers! Virtual Box 1.5 does not uninstall completely!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
alexei

Developers! Virtual Box 1.5 does not uninstall completely!

Post by alexei »

Despite MSI uninstaller reports sucsessful uninstall, there are several entries left in the registry (search for VirtualBox and Vbox).
Also Vbox* files are left in system32
.VirtualBox folder is left under Program Files.

User manual states:
"As we use the Microsoft Installer, VirtualBox can be safely uninstalled at any time by choosing the program entry in the “Add/Remove Programs” applet in the Windows Control Panel."

Developers should know that MS products are well known for not cleaning up after themselvs. Using MSI does not guarantee clean uninstall.
Can you (at least) mention what is left after your "uninstall".

By "clean uninstall" I mean "as it has never been installed".

Thank you,
Alexei
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Which Vbox* files?

.VirtualBox is left untouched on purpose. Data is generally not deleted on uninstalls.
Zufall

Post by Zufall »

C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\VBoxDrv.sys
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\VBoxTAP.sys
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\VBoxUSBMon.sys

at a uninstall, the drivers left on the machine
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

You can delete them yourselves for now. I don't consider that to be a really big problem unless they are still in the registry as services.

You can open a bug on our tracker if you wish: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker
alexei

Post by alexei »

sandervl wrote:I don't consider that to be a really big problem unless they are still in the registry as services.
Unfortunately, this is a really big problem: clean uninstall and complete information about what's left are among major characteristics that we take in account when determining software quality and suitability to our needs. In another words: "What other problems should we expect, if they can't even uninstall it properly? :( "
sandervl wrote:You can open a bug on our tracker if you wish: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker
I can hardly believe it would be helpful, especially because you consider it just a minor problem.

Regarding the Registry, those keys are still there (not easy to delete)

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_VBOXDRV
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_VBOXUSBMON
and I don't know what else is left :(

Dear sandervl, could you please post here complete list of what Virtual Box adds to the system during installation and (if possible) what is left after uninstall.
BTW, this information is a must in Vbox documentation.

Virtual Box has nice features and really great potential. You may be surprized, but there are only two problems that put it down in comparison to VMware, Virtual PC, and Parallels:
- 1. Incomplete uninstall.
- 2. Lack of virtual bridging (for ex. see http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=1787 )
sandervl
Volunteer

Post by sandervl »

Well, open a defect and we will look at it. You are the first to complain about this.

And we do support virtual bridging. This is clearly described in the manual.
It has some limitations, but we'll address these in the future.

Help on these forums is on a best effort basis. (Potential) Commercial customers (should) use different communication channels.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

I also believe that VirtualBox should uninstall cleanly - and not only that - but GuestAddition drivers also do not uninstall cleanly (from Windows guests). Those leaving you with mouse integration enabled.

Let me know about the bug number so I can join.
alexei

Post by alexei »

Technologov wrote: Let me know about the bug number so I can join.
It's #777